Steamed Chicken Foil Packet
Filed Under: Chicken Recipes Recipes Steaming
Steamed Chicken in Foil Recipe
This recipe makes 1 foil packet. If you have a large steamer, you can steam 2-3 foil packets at a go.
For those not comfortable with using foil, you can wrap the chicken in parchment paper instead.
- 20g yellow/white onion cut to chunks
- 3 stalks spring onion (bottom white part) cut to short sections
- 5 thin ginger slices
- 4 garlic cloves peeled & bruised
The rest of the ingredients:
- 1 chicken leg (about 200g)
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 bell peppers (capsicum) diced
- 3 fresh shiitake mushroom caps halved
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine or sake
- 25g unsalted butter cubed
- 50g shimeji mushrooms ends trimmed
- spring onions chopped or cut to wispy strips
You Also Need:
- one sheet of food-grade aluminium foil measuring 30×35 cm
- Prepare foil packet. Lay foil sheet on a flat work surface. Place aromatics (onion, spring onion, ginger and garlic) in the middle of the sheet. Place chicken leg on top of the aromatics. Rub sesame oil on the chicken skin. Scatter the rest of the ingredients evenly over and around the chicken.
- Seal the packet by folding in the foil lengthwise over the chicken, followed by the remaining two sides.
- Steam chicken and serve. Prepare steamer. When the water in the steamer is boiling, steam the chicken foil (placed on a plate) for 30 minutes. When opening the parcel, be careful of hot steam coming out from it. Spoon the soup over the chicken to keep it moist, and garnish with spring onions.
Pages: 1 2
U better get a job as a chef where all your creations will be enjoyed by many…
wooo… this looks yummy. Yeah, not heaty without the chinese herbs.
Pingback: Foil-Wrapped Ginseng Chicken | NoobCook.com
Looks so simple, convenient and yummy!
But… Recent health recommendations suggests not to allow food to be in touch with aluminium foil when it’s being heated as aluminium may leach during heat. Side effects of aluminium includes weak bones and Alzheimer’s. What’s your take on this?
This is never proven, though if you worried, you can use baking silicon paper instead.
Yeah… Looks too yummy to pass. Shall try with baking paper. Thank youuuuuu!
This looks super duper fresh, delicious and HEALTHY too. Definitely my kind of meal.
Can we omit the butter? My hubby is not a big fan of oil/butter, just wondering if the taste is significantly compromised.
the taste of the butter is subtle after cooking. But yes, you can omit it.
What is the best veggie substitute if i dont like all kinds of mushrooms?
you can substitute the mushrooms with zucchini (my fav) or any veggies you fancy.
ALL of the recipes on your blog that I have tried, whether they were original, modified, “healthy,” indulgent, borrowed, created, or whatever have been awwweeessommeeeeee! I’m saying it because as a LONG time reader.
Hi! Super loving your recipes and your site is always my first go to. I’m looking to make freezer meals and I like this recipe. Do you think it freezes well after I pack? And steam it after I thaw for a day?