Steamed Chicken Foil Packet
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Steamed Chicken in Foil Recipe
This recipe makes 1 foil packet. If you have a large steamer, you can steam 2-3 foil packets at a go.
For those not comfortable with using foil, you can wrap the chicken in parchment paper instead.
- 20g yellow/white onion cut to chunks
- 3 stalks spring onion (bottom white part) cut to short sections
- 5 thin ginger slices
- 4 garlic cloves peeled & bruised
The rest of the ingredients:
- 1 chicken leg (about 200g)
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 bell peppers (capsicum) diced
- 3 fresh shiitake mushroom caps halved
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine or sake
- 25g unsalted butter cubed
- 50g shimeji mushrooms ends trimmed
- spring onions chopped or cut to wispy strips
You Also Need:
- one sheet of food-grade aluminium foil measuring 30×35 cm
- Prepare foil packet. Lay foil sheet on a flat work surface. Place aromatics (onion, spring onion, ginger and garlic) in the middle of the sheet. Place chicken leg on top of the aromatics. Rub sesame oil on the chicken skin. Scatter the rest of the ingredients evenly over and around the chicken.
- Seal the packet by folding in the foil lengthwise over the chicken, followed by the remaining two sides.
- Steam chicken and serve. Prepare steamer. When the water in the steamer is boiling, steam the chicken foil (placed on a plate) for 30 minutes. When opening the parcel, be careful of hot steam coming out from it. Spoon the soup over the chicken to keep it moist, and garnish with spring onions.