Spinach Tomato Egg Drop Soup
This fast and easy spinach tomato egg drop soup (苋菜番茄蛋花汤) was made with a dashi soup pack. I made this as I could not resist the supermarket bargain deal of 3 packets of local greens for S$1.80 – that’s only 60 cents for my pack of sharp spinach in this recipe! I loved that this soup was made with minimal ingredients, yet it had a lot of flavour and heaps of healthy green spinach. The tomato added a natural umami depth to this homely soup. This soup is very similar to my spinach egg drop soup recipe but it is slightly simpler (using a soup pack) with a lighter consistency (no cornstarch).
More Local Spinach Recipes:
INGREDIENTS (Spinach Tomato Egg Drop Soup)
Pictured key ingredients:
- 1 packet local spinach (round/sharp) – For this recipe, I snipped the spinach leaves and discarded the stems. I washed & spun dry the spinach, and kept the salad spinner in the fridge. The prepared spinach will keep well (remain fresh and crisp) in the fridge for 2 days. This is a time-saver and enables me to cook immediately when I reach home.
- 1 large ripened tomato – cut the tomato to wedges, and each wedge to smaller pieces.
- 2 eggs – lightly whisked.
- 1 instant dashi soup pack – There are various brands in the market. This is my current favourite soup pack discovery, I tried this ‘no MSG’ version and I much prefer this to its more popular MSG version. You can find this soup pack from local supermarkets such as NTUC and Sheng Siong.
HOW TO COOK SPINACH TOMATO EGG DROP SOUP:
- Bring water to a boil with the dashi soup pouch.
- Add spinach. When the they start to wilt and reduce in volume, add cut tomatoes.
- Cover with lid and bring to a simmer for 2 or more minutes, until the spinach is cooked to your preference.
- Remove soup pouch.
- Return the spinach tomato soup to a boil and turn off the heat. Immediately swirl in the egg all around the pot.
- Wait a few seconds and at the first sight of the egg solidifying, use chopsticks to stir the soup gently to disperse the egg to get large egg ribbons.
Ladle this soup to a serving bowl, add a few drops of pure sesame oil and a dash of white pepper for powder better flavour. Enjoy!
Haven’t had egg drop soup in ages! I love that you used dashi soup to make this..not sure if I can find it here, but I guess you can make dashi soup yourself too. And who need msg if everything is so FRESH!
Good deal on the greens! Wish we have such deals here. Long time never had such spinach.