Purple Rice Bulgogi Bowl
Purple Rice Bulgogi Bowl Recipe
You can make this recipe with any type of cooked rice, though serving it with purple rice gives it a beautifully luxurious presentation. Besides purple rice, you can also try Korean or Japanese multigrain rice.
As a short-cut, this recipe uses supermarket marinated bulgogi beef (from Don Don Donki). If you wish to make the bulgogi beef from scratch, check out this recipe.
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup (150g) short-grain white rice
- 1/2 level tsp glutinous short-grain black rice
- 1 1/2 cup water
Main Dish (Bulgogi)
- 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
- 200g supermarket marinated bulgogi beef (chicken or pork)
- 40g chopped konegi (Japanese green onions)
Side Dish (Greens)
- 1/2 tsp cooking oil for blanching the greens
- 250g baby boy choy (“qing bai”/青白) halved vertically & washed to remove soil trapped within the crevices
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 dried red chilli deseeded and sliced thinly
- Korean seasoned seaweed for topping rice
- roasted sesame seeds
- Make purple rice in the rice cooker. Add washed white and black rice in the rice cooker inner pot with 1 1/2 cup water. Set rice cooker to ‘COOK’. When done, fluff up the purple rice with a rice paddle. Check out the detailed recipe with step-by-step photos here.
- Make sunny side-up eggs. Grease a large pan with sesame oil. Gently crack the eggs into the pan. Cook on low heat until the egg white is set and the yolk is still a little runny. Set aside the fried eggs on a plate.
- Cook bulgogi beef. Add 1/2 tbsp oil to the same pan. Cook bulgogi beef until three-quarters done, then add cut green onions. Stir fry briskly until the beef is cooked.
- Cook baby bok choy. Bring a pot of water with 1/2 tsp oil to boil. Add baby bok choy and cook for about 45 seconds in the boiling water. Take them out and set aside on a plate. In a separate clean pan, add 1 tbsp oil, soy sauce and red chilli. When the sauce bubbles, add the blanched bok choy to coat evenly in the sauce.
- Assemble the rice bowl. In each serving bowl, add purple rice, bulgogi beef and baby bok choy. Sprinkle seasoned seaweed over the rice. Garnish with sesame seeds and a sunny side-up egg on the side.