Creamy Mushroom & Kale
This creamy mushroom & kale is a lightweight cream-based dish that one can eat without feeling overwhelmed by the rich texture of cream. If you prefer a light creamier taste as I do, this is a recipe that is perfect for home-cooking as one can tweak the consistency of the creamy sauce with ease. I used Portobello mushrooms, known for their earthy umami taste and ‘meaty’ feel, which is apt as this is a meatless dish. Kale is always my favourite and a perfect companion to mushrooms – I was lucky that I found some cheap air-flown kale from Prime Supermarket to make this dish.
- Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Baked Cream of Mushroom Ravioli
- Butter Hon Shimeji Mushrooms
- Kale, Bacon & Mushroom
- One-Pan Kale & Eggs
- Kale, Banana & Strawberry Smoothie
These are the 4 main ingredients for my creamy mushroom & kale:
- Mushroom – I am using portobello mushrooms. Cut/tear the mushroom coarsely to large chunks – they will taste and look better in this dish. You can use any favourite mushrooms (maitake, button, cremini etc) or a mushroom medley pack.
- Kale leaves – Remove the stem and cut/tear the leaves to smaller pieces. Wash and spin dry the kale leaves – this can be prepared in advance. Store the washed kale leaves in a food ziplock bag. I often prepared kale this way on the very same day of purchase and they lasted for a few more days longer in the fridge.
- Cream – I am using Emborg pasta cream as it was on sale. You can use most types of cooking cream for this recipe.
- Meatless soup concentrate – I dissolved a mix of mushroom seasoning powder and dashi powder in hot water. The combination of mushroom + dashi powder gave the meatless creamy sauce a delicious savoury depth. I dissolved the granules in hot water when I made this dish, but I later streamlined the recipe to add it directly to the pan. You can use any favourite soup granules for this recipe.
Here are the step-by-steps for making creamy mushroom & kale:
- In a large pot of boiling water, blanch kale for a few minutes and set aside the cooked kale in a colander. Do not discard the kale cooking water.
- Saute onions and mushroom in olive oil, butter, Italian seasoning and garlic salt, until the mushrooms are tender.
- Add cream, kale cooking water, and soup granules (mushroom + dashi powder). You can add more kale cooking water, a ladle at a time, for your desired consistency.
- Add the kale and simmer down the sauce a little.
You can serve this creamy mushroom & kale on its own as a light meal with toast or rice. You can also toss in some pasta as a one-dish meal.