Creamy Mushroom & Kale
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Creamy Mushroom & Kale Recipe
I am using portobello mushrooms in this recipe. You can use any favourite mushrooms (such as maitake, button and cremini), or a medley mushroom mix. Remember to cut/tear the mushrooms to big chunks so that they will retain a good size and bite after cooking.
- 50g kale leaves
- 50g chopped onions
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 150g portobello mushrooms (black gills removed) coarsely cut or torn to chunks
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning (or any favourite herbs blend)
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 20g unsalted butter
- 100g cooking cream
- 200ml kale cooking water add more as needed
- 1 tsp soup granules (I used dashi powder + mushroom powder) to taste; see note below
- Blanch kale. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add kale and blanch for about 5 minutes. Drain the kale in a colander. Do not discard the kale cooking water.
- Cook mushrooms. In a large pan, sauté onion in olive oil until they start to soften. Add mushrooms, Italian seasoning, garlic salt and butter. Sauté the mushrooms briefly. Add a small splash of kale cooking water, cover with lid and let the mushrooms steam for about 3 minutes until they are tender.
- Add cream, kale cooking water, and soup granules (dashi powder + mushroom powder). Stir well to dissolve the soup granules completely. Add more kale cooking water, 1 small ladle at a time, if needed, until the desired creamy consistency is reached.
- Add kale back to the pan, mix well and simmer down the sauce a little. Season to taste. Serve with toast or rice. You can also toss in some cooked pasta to serve this as a one-dish meal.
You can use any favourite soup granules – such as chicken consommé powder, or even replace the liquids with a rich soup stock (tetra-pak vegetable/mushroom/chicken). I find that the mix of dashi and mushroom powder provided a depth of natural umani depth that is perfect in a meatless dish.