Sweet Potato & Ginger Soup
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Sweet Potato & Ginger Soup Recipe
This sweet potato & ginger soup recipe is extra spiced and warming, which is great for colder or rainy days.
- 400g sweet potato 番薯 (orange and/or yellow flesh) peeled & cut to large chunks
- 2 tbsp granulated black/brown sugar (黑糖) see note below
- 60g old or Bentong ginger lightly smashed; optional: put it into a disposable soup pouch
- 15 (about 20g) dried longan (干龙眼)
- 4 pandan leaves tied into a knot
- 1 litre water top up more if needed
- 1 tsp pure ginger powder optional; to taste
Place all the ingredients except ginger powder in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer with a small lid vent opening for 15-20 minutes, until the sweet potato is just softened but still holding its shape. Add ginger powder, if using, to make the soup extra spiced & warming. Discard pandan and ginger before serving.
- Don’t over boil the sweet potatoes (not exceeding 20 minutes) as they will turn mushy and disintegrate into the soup.
- Brown Sugar. For best results, use black sugar (more fragrant) in granulated form (makes measurement easier). Examples are jaggery sugar (what I used), coconut sugar or gula melaka.
- Ginger. Use old ginger (more spicy) or Bentong ginger for this recipe.
- ‘Secret’ Ingredient. The pure ginger powder adds extra spice to the soup, making it more delicious, warming and also aiding in dispelling wind in the tummy.