Korean Ginseng Chicken Soup (Samgyetang)
Filed Under: Asian Recipes Chicken Recipes Korean Recipes Recipes Soups
Korean Ginseng Chicken Soup (Samgyetang) Recipe
Serve this wholesome chicken soup with multigrain rice, kimchi and assorted Korean banchan (small side dishes) for a sumptuous home-cooked Korean meal.
Don’t forget to check out the step-by-step pictures on page 1.
- 1 small chicken (800 grams or less) trim & discard excess fat around the neck & bottom
- 2 tbsp kosher or coarse salt; for cleaning the chicken
- 1 pack of fresh ginseng (net weight 45g) make small surface slits on root
- 2 tbsp glutinous rice or short-grain rice soaked for 2 hours; drain before use
- 4 small red dates
- 12 peeled garlic cloves
- 2 litres water adjust accordingly
- a pinch of sea salt for seasoning; to taste
- 1 stalk scallion (white part) thinly sliced
You also need (optional)
- kitchen twine
- Korean dolsot (hot stone serving bowl)
- To clean the chicken, use kosher or coarse salt to dry rub the chicken inside and out. Rinse with water to remove all the salt.
- Stuff chicken cavity with 1 small ginseng root, soaked rice, red dates and garlic cloves. Optional: You can tie (truss) the chicken legs with kitchen twine.
- In a soup pot, add chicken and the remaining ginseng. Bring to boil and simmer for 1 hour. Season to taste with sea salt.
- When the chicken is cooked, transfer to a stone serving bowl. Bring to boil just before serving. Garnish with scallion and serve immediately.
Pages: 1 2
What a delicious meal! The soup must be very fresh and flavourful.
Glutinous rice in ginseng soup is new to me…and I would love to try it…this is a very comfort dish.
Hope you are having a great week Wiffy :)
I hv always wanted to learn this recipe. Tqvm. I hope i can find thise fresh ginseng in Malaysia. Btw i read those print next to the step by step pictures. Thumb up.
Sorry ..cant read
Try Tesco (let me know if you can find it there). The print recipe is at https://noobcook.com/samgyetang/2/
You really make cooking the entire meal sound so easy :)…I also like Korean ginseng chicken soup but have not cooked it at home. before. I think I still have something I bought previously that packs the dried ginseng, dates, glutinous rice together and I have not used it yet!
The korean ginseng can only be found at tiong bahru wet market? Don’t they sell it at those korean supermarket, eg shine korea?
Referring to fresh ginseng, Shine only sells dried ginseng in a samgyetang prepack (tried it and wasn’t to my liking). Hoping that if someone sees the fresh ginseng elsewhere, they can share it with us here so that we have more than one place to get this.
Manage to get it at Sheng Siong @ 200 Woodlands Ind park
Will it be possible to replace with white rice instead of glutinous rice? Or will you recommend I do not put any rice if I don’t have glutinous rice?
yes you can replace with white rice; short grain preferred.
Hi, I bought my fresh ginseng for $10 per packet.
Instead of using salt to clean chicken, can I parboil it for a few minutes. ?
may I know where you buy this fresh ginseng, I’m in singapore
Am cooking this tonite, I managed to buy fresh ones in Busan.
Recipe is simple however u didn’t specify the number of garlic cloves and jujubes.
Was at Giant, Vivocity earlier.. there is fresh ginseng available. You can find in at the chiller section where you pick up your packet salad veg.