Pickled Chinese Cabbage
Filed Under: 15-minute Recipes Asian Recipes Chinese Recipes Easy Cabbage Recipes Pickle Recipes Recipes Salads Taiwanese
Chinese Pickled Cabbage Recipe
This Chinese-style pickled cabbage is the perfect appetizer dish to complement any meal. You can eat it an hour after soaking but for best results, allow to soak overnight before consumption. Keeps refrigerated for about a week (though it will probably not last that long).
- half head (about 300 grams) round cabbage
- 2 chilli padi sliced thinly; to taste
- 1/3 carrot thinly shredded
- 1 tbsp salt
(A) Vinegar Solution
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- /4 tsp salt to taste
You also need:
- one x 500 ml glass jar
- Cut cabbage to large, bite-sized chunks. Place cut cabbage and carrot in a large salad bowl and toss with 1 tbsp salt. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes for the cabbage to ‘sweat’.
- Rinse to get rid of the salt completely, drain and wring the vegetables dry before packing them firmly into a glass jar.
- In a saucepan, bring (A) to a simmer, until the sugar dissolves. Adjust to taste accordingly to your preference.
- When the vinegar solution has cooled, pour it to fill the glass jar. Store covered and refrigerated.
Noob Cook Tips
- The vinegar mixture can be re-used for a second batch of picked cabbage, if desired. Repeat step 1 and add prepared cabbage to the bottle of vinegar mixture.
- For best results, use authentic rice vinegar rather than the artificial/imitation vinegar.
Pages: 1 2
Can rice vinegar be substituted with white vinegar?
1 cup means how many ml? Thanks!
1 cup can be 200ml (Asian cup that comes with the rice cooker) or 250ml (US). Does not matter which one is used, as long the same cup is used in your measurements.