Low-Carb Air Fryer Margherita Pizza
I made this low-carb air fryer Margherita pizza as I still have leftover pizza sauce and cheese. I reckon since I am making pizzas more frequently these days, I need to make pizzas with lesser carbs. So I researched online and saw low-carb portobello pizzas: such a clever idea! Not only is the portobello mushroom a guilt-free pizza base, it is delicious and healthy too! After practicing with smaller portobello mushrooms, I spent a week before I found a 13cm portobello mushroom at the supermarket. I was satisfied even though there is still a lot of space left in my 20cm air fryer. From now on, I’ll be on the lookout for that elusive gigantic portobello mushroom when I’m at the supermarket. Instead of one large mushroom though, you can also fit several smaller portobello mushrooms to make up to 4 mini pizzettas each time in your air fryer.
- Creamy Portobello Mushroom & Kale Pasta
- Margherita Focaccia Pizza
- Mushroom Margherita Mini Pizza
- Cheesy Mini Pizza
More Low Carb Recipes:
- Low Carb Thai Basil Chicken Salad
- Low Carb Tom Yum Chicken Noodles
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
- Oven Roasted Cauliflower Rice
- Simmered Bacon Wrapped Veggies
- Low Carb Bacon Spinach “Spaghetti” (Konjac Noodles)
Portobello mushrooms sometimes become soggy after roasting. Here are some tips for preventing a soggy pizza:
- Wipe the mushroom caps with a damp kitchen towel. Never rinse or wash the mushrooms.
- If you are using fresh cheese like I did, place the ball of cheese in a paper towel and gently squeeze out the excess water before adding to your pizza.
- Don’t over cook the portobello mushrooms – the longer they sit in the air fryer (or oven), the more moisture they release.
- Go easy on the pizza sauce (reminder to myself) especially if you are using the more watery (pasta) type.
Steps by Steps
After baking the mushroom cap in the air fryer for 3 minutes, flip it to the other side (stem side up). Now we can start decorating the ‘pizza’ (pictured above).
- Spread pizza sauce, then top it with fresh cheese, olive and green pepper. You can use any random pizza topping. The mushroom surface is really small so the toppings are literally kitchen scraps!
- Return it to the air fryer and continue baking for 3-5 minutes. Take out the mushroom once the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with pink salt, red pepper flakes, parsley & olive oil. Eat on its own or serve with a salad, a smoothie, a complex carb or a faux carb. Enjoy your low-carb portobello mushroom pizza!