Low-Carb Air Fryer Margherita Pizza
Filed Under: Air Fryer Recipes Low Carb Recipes Meals for One or Two Meatless Recipes Mushrooms Recipes Step-by-Step Recipes
Low-Carb Air Fryer Margherita Pizza Recipe
You can use the biggest portobello mushroom you can find to fit your air fryer (as I did), or use smaller portobello mushrooms to fill the space.
Food cooks quickly in the air fryer, so every minute makes a difference. Pull out the air fryer tray and check on the status – overcooked pizza will release a lot of liquid, or become burnt.
Enjoy your pizza on its own or compliment it with a salad, a smoothie, a healthy complex carb or a faux carb.
Check out more photos and tips on preventing a soggy pizza at the previous page.
- one large portobello mushroom cap (stalk and gills removed) as big as your air fryer can accommodate
- olive oil to grease the mushroom cap
- a small sprinkle of dried oregano, pizza seasoning or Italian seasoning
Toppings Per Pizza (Estimate by Eye):
- 1 tbsp pizza sauce (or pasta sauce such as marinara sauce)
- 20g fresh Mozzarella cheese drained, patted dry & torn by hand to small pieces
- 1 pitted olive sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp diced green pepper
- fresh and/or dried parsley (basil)
- freshly cracked (pink) salt
- sprinkle of red chilli pepper flakes
- a small drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare the portobello mushroom cap. Remove the mushroom stem (save them for cooking). Remove black gills (optional but highly recommended) by scooping them out with a spoon. Brush the mushroom cap including the edges with some olive oil. Sprinkle a bit of dried oregano or pizza/Italian seasoning on the mushroom cap.
- Bake the mushroom cap. Place portobello mushroom stem side down and bake in an air fryer (no need to preheat) at 200°C (392°F) for three minutes.
- Make the ‘pizza’. Carefully take out the baked mushroom cap with tongs and flip it stem side up. Spread pizza sauce evenly on the mushroom using the back of a spoon. Top the pizza with cheese, sliced olive & diced pepper. Return the portobello mushroom back to the air fryer to bake it at the same temperature for about 5 minutes, or when the cheese is melted. Take it out immediately from the air fryer once it is done.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, salt, red pepper flakes and a light drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Pages: 1 2
Yup! almost like a stuffed big mushrooms just with pizza toppings :p