Green Onion Toast
This green onion toast is a 8-minute, 7-ingredient recipe for rich tasting savoury bread. It is so quick and simple to make! In the air fryer, it took only 4 minutes to bake without preheating – so efficient! I saw this recipe on a Korean YouTube channel and I liked the recipe so much that I made another version with corn and shrimp (upcoming recipe). Since I have only started to enjoy bread, I like to make savoury and rich tasting toasts whenever I indulged.
Related (coming soon):
- How to Regrow Japanese Spring Onions in Water
- Green Onion, Corn & Shrimp Toast Recipe
More Savoury Toast Ideas:
- Cheesy Mushroom Omelette
- Mushroom Margherita Mini Pizza
- Teriyaki Tofu Steak
- Salmon Avocado Cabbage Salad
- Mayonnaise, mirin and honey. The original recipe calls for Korean oligodang syrup – I don’t have it in my pantry so I substituted with a mix of mirin and honey with good results (not too sweet which I like).
- Shredded cheese – any type (such as mozzarella or cheddar). I am using an inexpensive (house brand) pizza mix shredded cheese from Cold Storage.
- Thick bread. My sliced bread (bought from Japanese bakery) is almost 2 cm thick. I love thick bread for toasts because you can stuff more fillings into it, and it is more filling. It also looked more luxurious to me.
- Others – Butter and pepper.
KEY INGREDIENT – KONEGI (小葱)
Key ingredient: I used Japanese spring onion (labelled “konegi“/小葱 at Donki). It is slightly bigger than our local spring onions. Snip the green portion of the green onion to thin cuts into a bowl using kitchen scissors. You can substitute it with other types of green onions, our local spring onion (cut into 2-cm lengths), or even chives.
Mix the rest of the ingredients with the cut green onions, then mix well. Make a well in the bread using the back of a spoon or a spatula.
Spread the toast filling on the bread and bake it in an air fryer. You can also use a toaster oven.
I almost burnt the bread so I am reducing the recipe time in the air fryer by a minute. Enjoy your morning toast!