Pan-fried Salmon with Honey Mustard Sauce
I’m always experimenting with easy ways to serve grilled/pan-fried salmon at home (so far I have tried salt & pepper, soy ginger, wasabi butter, mustard, miso salmon, salmon with creamy sauce). I hope that one day, I have the chance to showcase all the versions I tried in this blog. Eating out is getting more and more expensive these days, and with home cooking, I feel that it allows me to enjoy my fave food more regularly, lol. And at least I know that my food is cooked using good fresh ingredients (fish bought on the same day, fresh/organic herbs, good quality olive oil etc).
This is another of such dish where it is fast, cheap and pretty effortless to whip up. It takes about 15 minutes to prepare and cook the salmon. Almost as simple as my quickie grilled salmon, this is great when I fancy something a little more elaborate than the simple but still delicious salt and pepper version.
Recipe for Pan-fried Salmon with Mustard Sauce
(Makes two salmon fillets, for two)
Adapted from Cooking Light
– 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
– 1 tsp honey
– 1/4 tsp dried dill (or 1/2 tsp chopped fresh dill)
– salt & pepper
– 2 pieces of salmon fillet
– butter or olive oil
1. Pull out the bones from the salmon fillet using your fingers or a tweezer.
2. Season the skin side of the fish with salt (rub) & black pepper.
3. Combine mustard, honey and dill in a bowl. Spread the marinade over the top of the salmon.
4. Melt a knob of butter and spread it evenly on the pan (or use olive oil). Pan-fry the salmon fillet, skin side down first, for about 4 minutes each side over medium fire.
5. Serve the salmon skin side down. Scoop the marinade sauce left on the pan and spread over the top of the salmon fillet.
In case you are wondering how I prepared my side dish of steamed vegetables, here are the steps (pretty shabby method).
Recipe for Steamed Vegetables with Sesame Seeds (Side Dish)
1. Toast some sesame seeds in a dry pan till fragrant and golden brown. Set aside.
2. Steam some cut vegetables (I had broccoli, french beans and carrot that day) for about 5-10minutes till cooked. Dip in iced water to retain the colour (optional).
3. In a bowl, coat vegetables with extra virgin olive oil, and season with salt & pepper. Serve onto plate, and sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top.