Apple & Mozzarella Toast
This apple & mozzarella toast is an 8-minute recipe that takes 3 minutes to put together and 5 minutes to bake in an air fryer. If you don’t have an air fryer, you can use a broiler, toaster or regular oven. The buttered sliced bread is baked with fresh mozzarella cheese, cinnamon spice dusted apples slices and honey. It makes a really fast, fancy and tasty breakfast!
Leftover Fresh Cheese:
- Low-Carb Air Fryer Margherita Pizza
- Baked Pasta with Fresh Mozzarella
- Mushroom Margherita Mini Pizza
- Hawaiian Focaccia Pizza
As for the spread, I actually wanted to use cream cheese, but I had an unopened packet of mini mozzarella cheese balls in the fridge and so I decided to use what I have. I love the result of the buttered bread topped with mild-tasting fresh cheese!
Here are other bread spread that goes well with apple:
- peanut butter
- tahini butter
- cream cheese
- sliced cheese
- just butter!
Main ingredients for my Apple & Mozzarella Toast:
- Fresh mozzarella cheese – I bought mini mozzarella balls this time. Halved each ball using a total of 3.5 mini balls to fill up the bread. If you using the regular-sized cheese (1 large ball in a pouch), just tear by hand to smaller sizes.
- Pumpkin mixed spice blend – mine contains ground cinnamon, all spice & nutmeg. You can also use ground cinnamon or cinnamon sugar to make this recipe.
- Honey, Apple & Bread. I used French royal gala apples (I bought the apples before I decided to make apple toast) and then I read online that they are milder in flavour after cooking. For a richer apple taste, you can use Granny Smith (which I will definitely try next time) or a mix of both. For the bread, I am using frozen bread (no need to thaw before use). I prefer thick bread (the Japanese type) as looked gourmet and is more filling for me.
Core and quarter an apple, then cut them into thin slices. Cut them just before using it on the bread to minimise browning.
Spread butter on one side of the bread. Top it with fresh fresh mozzarella cheese pieces.
Arrange layered apple over the cheese and press the apple slices gently with your fingers so that they stick well to the cheese. Dust pumpkin spice mix (or cinnamon powder) over the bread. Finally drizzle honey and it is ready to be baked in an air fryer (what I used), broiler, toaster or regular oven (great if you are making more than 1 bread at a time).
This is my baked apple toast with fresh cheese. Serve it with a side salad with the remaining apple sides, some granola, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Enjoy this easy and fast breakfast!