Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Baked Mussels Recipe
Use as much or as little pasta sauce and cheese, according to your liking.
- 10 half-shell frozen mussels thawed, scrubbed & debearded
- 70 grams frozen chopped spinach
- 30 grams unsalted butter cubed
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 1/2 tbsp instant pasta sauce (tomato)
- 30 to 50 grams shredded mozzarella cheese
- a small pinch of salt to taste; omit if using salted butter
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- lemon wedges to serve
- Thaw frozen spinach in the microwave on medium, for about 3 minutes (varies according to your microwave; stir through halfway for even cooking). The spinach need not be warmed; just thawing it (still cold) will suffice. Squeeze out excess water from thawed spinach either by wringing them in your hand, or using two spoons to squeeze out the water. Set aside.
- Microwave cubed butter in a small bowl at medium low for 40 seconds. Use a spoon to stir the butter vigorously to melt it. Add mayonnaise, salt and pepper; stir to form a smooth paste. Set aside mayonnaise mixture.
- Place mussels on foil or parchment-lined oven tray. Bake them in pre-heated oven of 200°C (392°F) for 5 minutes. Using kitchen tongs, carefully drain the mussels broth collected in the shells in a small bowl. You can use the broth for cooking (see tip below).
- Spoon the mayonnaise mixture on one half of each mussel. Then place about 1 tsp of pasta sauce on the other half. Top each mussel with a layer of spinach and cheese.
- Return mussels to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Serve with lemon.
Noob Cook Tip
Use the mussel broth in your cooking – such as in aglio olio (add the broth for a naturally sweet unami flavour).