Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Tomato Fried Rice Recipe
For best results when cooking fried rice, use cooked rice that has been refrigerated overnight. If you do not like the idea of overnight rice , you can also use freshly cooked rice which has been refrigerated for at least 2 hours in the fridge. Refrigerating the rice keeps the grains dry so that they won’t stick to each other during stir frying. Alternatively, ‘tabao’ (takeaway) extra rice the day before, for making fried rice the next day.
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 shallots finely chopped
- 1 finger-length red chilli de-seeded and sliced to small wedges
- 2 tomatoes cut to bite-sized wedges
- 400 grams cooked rice (short or long grain) refrigerated overnight
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (peas, carrot, corn) thawed
- 2 heaped tbsp ketchup (tomato sauce)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce to taste
- a few dashes white pepper powder to taste
- 1/4 tsp sea salt to taste
- chopped spring onions
- sliced cucumbers
- fried egg
- Heat oil in a wok. Stir fry garlic, shallot, chilli and tomato briefly, until aromatic.
- Add rice, thawed frozen vegetables and seasonings. Stir fry on high heat, until everything is well combined and the rice is dry and of an uniform red-orange colour.
- Serve each plate of fried rice with chopped spring onions, cucumbers and a fried egg.