Filed Under: Asian Recipes Fried Rice Meatless Recipes One-Dish Meals Popular Recipes Recipes rice Stir Frying
Tomato Fried Rice Recipe
For best results when cooking fried rice, use cooked rice that has been refrigerated overnight. If you do not like the idea of overnight rice , you can also use freshly cooked rice which has been refrigerated for at least 2 hours in the fridge. Refrigerating the rice keeps the grains dry so that they won’t stick to each other during stir frying. Alternatively, ‘tabao’ (takeaway) extra rice the day before, for making fried rice the next day.
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 shallots finely chopped
- 1 finger-length red chilli de-seeded and sliced to small wedges
- 2 tomatoes cut to bite-sized wedges
- 400 grams cooked rice (short or long grain) refrigerated overnight
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (peas, carrot, corn) thawed
- 2 heaped tbsp ketchup (tomato sauce)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce to taste
- a few dashes white pepper powder to taste
- 1/4 tsp sea salt to taste
- chopped spring onions
- sliced cucumbers
- fried egg
- Heat oil in a wok. Stir fry garlic, shallot, chilli and tomato briefly, until aromatic.
- Add rice, thawed frozen vegetables and seasonings. Stir fry on high heat, until everything is well combined and the rice is dry and of an uniform red-orange colour.
- Serve each plate of fried rice with chopped spring onions, cucumbers and a fried egg.
Pages: 1 2
As usual I start drooling at what you’ve whipped up. I read the ingredient list and it has all my favourites in them . Mushrooms, Bell Pepper, Hot dog. Yummers…drool…
I like no-fuss dishes like this. Hee.. I gonna get a bottle of jap ketchup to make fried rice like yours.
Nice photography, no unsightly shadows on the plate. How did you manage to do that?
Really? Jap ketchup taste better?
I have not done fried rice (any kind) for a long time! My “fried rice” is usually done in the rice cooker! HA!
didally: I took the photos without flash and brightened the picture :D
Thanks for the comments! :D
Wow! This looks so much like we do ours! I haven’t made fried rice in a looong time. You’ve inspired me to make some tonight since I have everything I need, I think!!!
Pingback: Stir-Fry Udon (Yaki Udon) | NoobCook.com
Pingback: Ketchup Prawns | NoobCook.com
Just want to let you know that I tried making this, minus the mushroom & substituted sausage with spam & added a tomato, it turned out really good!
I ate it with cream cheese too (my Korean friend once suggested that I ate kimchi fried rice with cheese, now I add cheese to almost any fried rice) :-)
Thanks for trying the recipes =) I haven’t thought of adding cheese to fried rice, gotta try it next time. Which cream cheese are you using?
Cream cheese is just what the name suggests, cheese but in a creamy texture.
People normally spread them over bagels & Philadelphia Cream Cheese is the most common brand, I’m sure you can find them at Cold Storage :P
Surprisingly, it’s hard to find (easy) Asian food recipes online that still taste authentic, so when I found out that you blog about (mostly) Asian food recipes, I thought I’d give them a try & so far I haven’t been disappointed yet :-)
Thanks for the info! Will grab one and add it to my fried rice next time, who could have guessed this is a secret ingredient? ;p Thanks for sharing =)