Shredded Chicken & Mushroom Noodles
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Shredded Chicken & Mushroom Noodles Recipe
Leftovers Tip: Store cooked shredded chicken in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge. The braised mushrooms keeps well in the fridge for up to a week. To reheat the chicken, you can lightly warm them for a few seconds in a slotted ladle in boiling water, before you cook the noodles. Reheat the bowl of mushrooms in the microwave oven or over the stove top.
- pickled green chilli
- 3 stalks choy sum (cai xin) cut to 2.5 cm (1 inch) width
(A) Shredded Chicken (4-6 servings)
- 200 grams boneless and skinless chicken breast
- just enough water to cover the chicken
(B) Stewed (Braised) Mushrooms (4-6 servings)
- 50 grams Chinese dried shiitake mushrooms
- 750 ml water
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp rock sugar
(C) Sauce (per one pax serving)
- 1 tsp kecap manis (sticky sweet soy sauce) to taste
- 1 tbsp mushroom braising sauce
- 2 tbsp ikan bilis or chicken stock (or any clear soup broth)
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sambal tumis if you do not take chilli, substitute with ketchup
- 1 tsp crispy lard pieces optional
- 1 tsp lard oil may substitute with shallot oil
(D) Noodles (per one pax serving)
- one bundle (about 70 grams) of fresh wonton noodles (or “mee kia“)
(A) Shredded Chicken
- In a small pot, add chicken breast and water. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until cooked through. Set the chicken on a plate, and when it is cool enough to handle, tear to thin shreds by hand following the direction of the grain. Set aside shredded chicken. Tip: You can reserve the chicken stock, filtered through a sieve, for cooking.
(B) Braised Mushrooms
- Soak mushrooms in a bowl of hot water for 30 minutes until softened. Trim and discard stalks. Squeeze out excess water from each mushroom cap. Using a pair of kitchen scissors, cut the mushrooms as thinly as possible.
- Add sliced mushrooms with the rest of the ingredients at (B) in a small pot. Simmer for 30 minutes until the mushrooms are tender. Transfer the stewed mushrooms together with the stewing sauce in a small bowl and set aside. Optional: Keep the stewed mushrooms warm and tender by keeping in a mini slow cooker on low until serving time.
- Reserve the mushroom stewing sauce for (C).
Cooking and assembling the noodles
- In each serving bowl, add (C). Stir with a spoon to mix the sauce well.
- Cook noodles through a slotted ladle until just cooked, about 30-45 seconds. Rinse the noodles in tap water for a few seconds. Add drained noodles to serving bowl and mix it thoroughly with the sauce.
- Cook a handful of choy sum through a slotted ladle for 30 seconds. Drain and top the noodles with the cooked choy sum, a spoonful of shredded chicken and a spoonful of braised mushrooms. Serve with pickled green chilli at the side.