Low Carb Thai Basil Chicken Salad
Low Carb Thai Basil Chicken Salad Recipe
In this recipe, I use ready-to-eat shredded cabbage (such as coleslaw mix) as a short-cut. If you shred cabbage by yourself (with a cabbage peeler, mandolin or by knife), it will add another 10-15 minutes to the recipe time.
Check out the ingredients and step-by-step photos on the previous page.
- 1 + 1 tsp cooking oil divided
- 1/4 thinly sliced onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 chilli padi sliced thinly; to taste
- 2 french beans (or 1 long bean) cut to 2-cm length
- 75g minced chicken (or pork/turkey)
- cornstarch slurry 2 tsp cornstarch in 2 tbsp water
- 5g Thai holy basil leaves
- a generous serving shredded cabbage/coleslaw mix (or any salad mix; about 70-100g)
- 50ml water
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp (brown) sugar
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 dashes white pepper powder
- Cook aromatics. Heat 1 tsp oil in a wokpan. Stir fry onions, garlic and chilli until aromatic. Push them to the side of the pan.
- Add minced chicken and the remaining oil. Stir fry chicken until half cooked on surface, while constantly breaking the meat to smaller bits with a spatula. Add French beans and stir fry until chicken is totally cooked on surface.
- Make sauce. Stir fry everything together and add sauce (A). Let the sauce bubble briefly, then thicken with cornstarch slurry.
- Add holy basil and turn off the stove. Stir through while the sauce is bubbly hot, until the basil is just withered.
- Assemble the salad. Place the shredded cabbage on one half of a large serving plate. Place the basil chicken on the other half of the plate. Garnish as desired (such as cucumber slices, tomato, chopped spring onions or a Thai-style crispy fried egg).
- For best results, I do not recommend putting the cooked basil chicken directly on the shredded cabbage as it will make the salad too soggy.
- You can replace the shredded cabbage with cauliflower rice as another faux carb choice.
Pages: 1 2
I love Thai basil! This looks so fresh and packed with flavours.
DDD near your workplace?! Am so envious.
Rice or shredded cabbage – just give me any or both with this Thai Basil Chicken ;p
It’s truly blissful!!!