Braised Coleslaw Mix in Red Wine Vinegar
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Braised Coleslaw in Red Wine Vinegar
The braised coleslaw cabbage keeps well in the fridge, covered, for up to 5 days. Reheat on the microwave to warm it up before serving. You can plan to cook more at a go if you intend it for meal prep.
Check out the step-by-step photos on the previous page.
- 200g coleslaw mix (or 160g shredded white/green cabbage, 30g red cabbage & 10g carrot)
- 1 tbsp ghee (or use 1 tbsp olive oil)
- half white onion finely chopped
- 50g+ 50g rich chicken stock divided; top up with more stock/water if needed
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- garlic salt or salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Cook onions. Heat ghee (or olive oil) and cook onions until they start to soften.
- Add shredded coleslaw cabbage, 50ml chicken stock. Fry briefly until the cabbage starts to wilt. Then add the red wine vinegar and the remaining chicken stock. Stir to mix well, cover with lid and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Finish up cooking. Test that the cabbage is softened to liking. Add more chicken stock if needed. Season with garlic salt and black pepper. Serve as a side dish to any dish or a salad/grain bowl topping.
- You can use a pre-packed coleslaw mix or shred your own cabbage by using a cabbage peeler, mandolin or by knife.
- For best results, use a rich chicken stock for this dish so that the cabbage absorbs the richness of the broth and require minimal seasonings. I usually use either Heinz chicken broth or Swanson clear chicken broth.