Tempeh Salad (Orange Vinaigrette)
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Tempeh Salad (with Orange Vinaigrette) Recipe
This tempeh salad is meatless and vegan. You can add a complex carb (such as cooked brown rice, quinoa or whole wheat pasta) to make it more filling. For lower carb, use lesser honey (or maple syrup).
This recipe makes just enough salad dressing for one serving. To make a bigger batch of orange vinaigrette salad dressing for meal prep, check out this recipe.
- 200g plain tempeh cut to uniform bite-sized pieces
- peanut or canola oil for deep frying (enough to submerge the tempeh)
click here to make a bigger batch for meal prep
- 4 tbsp pure orange juice
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (evoo)
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar (or apple cider) to taste
- 10 drops lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup to taste
- tiny pinch of sea salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper
Ingredients for Salad:
- 150g chopped romaine lettuce
- 50g thinly sliced red cabbage
- 100g canned or tetra-pak cooked corn kernels drained
- 2 tbsp chopped shallot or red onion
- half bell pepper (capsicum) sliced thinly
- 14 cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onions (or parsley, coriander)
- Deep fry tempeh. Add enough oil that will cover the tempeh in a frying pot. Heat oil to 180°C (356°F) or until tiny bubbles form when a wooden chopstick is inserted into the oil. Deep fry the tempeh in batches until light golden. Blot out excess oil by placing fried tempeh on kitchen paper towel or tempura paper.
- Make orange vinaigrette. In a small bowl, whisk orange juice, evoo, vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt & pepper. Season to taste.
- Assemble the salad and serve. Add romaine lettuce to a large salad bowl. Top the salad with fried tempeh and the rest of the salad ingredients, along with orange vinaigrette at the side. To serve, pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat well.