Smoked Oysters Quinoa Salad Jar
A brand new year means the (re)start of salad days. My new year’s resolution is to make many salads in 2019, to keep off the fats :P The wonders of a salad jar comes to my aid. One can prepare salad jars days in advance, making it convenient for meal prep. Serve this for dinner, or bring it to work for lunch. To me, salad jars are eating healthy made easy :)
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
- How to Cook Quinoa in a Rice Cooker
- Smoked Duck Salad Grain Bowl Recipe
- Sausage & Veggies Grain Bowl Recipe
Layers of my salad jar
Basic rule for a salad jar to keep well for days in the fridge is wet stuff at the bottom (sauce dressing, cucumbers, etc) & dry stuff (salad leaves, carb & dry toppings) at the top.
From top to bottom:
- topmost layer: feta cheese & cooked quinoa (or any carb)
- chopped romaine lettuce
- chopped red onions
- kidney beans & sweet corn
- cucumbers & cherry tomatoes (they absorb the olive oil dressing & provide the “barrier layer” to keep the ingredients on top dry)
- bottom-most layer: smoked oysters in olive oil + seasonings (lemon, chilli powder, soy/salt & pepper)
I bought my smoked oysters from iHerb (affliate link). Please note there is a warning on the package about the tin linings (read more at the product page). You can look for alternative brands, such as John West’s smoked oysters in (sunflower) oil, sold at selected NTUC Finest and Cold Storage in Singapore.
To eat straight from the jar, I tip my jar upside down (only attempt if your lid is very tight) for 1 minute to allow the dressing to seep all the way to the other end of the jar, where the dry ingredients rest.
Then give the jar some vigorous shaking (holding firmly onto the lid to keep it close) before tucking in. Since my salad jar is small, I have another container to hold extra salad leaves. As I am eating my salad, I will add the extra leaves to my jar to absorb the remaining salad dressing. Alternatively, just empty the salad into a large bowl, toss and enjoy.