Sardines Sandwich Recipe
You can also serve the sardine filling on a lettuce leaf for a low-carb snack.
- 6 slices bread crust removed if preferred
- few lettuce leaves (romaine, butterhead or any favourite)
- few tomato slices
- few cucumber slices optional
(A) Sardines Filling
- de-boned sardines fillet from 1 can (230g) sardines in tomato sauce
- 2-3 red chilli padi deseeded & sliced thinly; to taste
- juice from 3 limes (or 1 tbsp lemon juice)
- 2 heaped tbsp chopped red onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make the sardine filling. Add ingredients (A) to a bowl. Using a fork, mash the sardines into chunky pieces. Season to taste.
- Assemble the sandwich. Spread filling evenly over 3 slices of bread. Layer each bread with lettuce leaves, tomato and cucumber slices. Place remaining bread slices over the filling. Slice sandwich in half and serve.
- I’m using one medium can of sardines (230g) which makes three sandwiches. You can use a bigger can. This is a recipe where it is very easy to season the sardine mixture to taste. Use as much or as little chilli padi, lime juice and onion as you like to suit the amount of sardines and your taste buds.
- If anyone is allergic to raw onion, it can be substituted with chopped spring onions or omitted.