Red Grouper Fish Soup
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Red Grouper Fish Soup Recipe
Serve this bowl of fish soup with rice, or add noodles (glass noodles, rice vermicelli or ee-fu noodles) to enjoy as a one-dish meal.
- 150-200 grams red grouper fish fillet (红斑/石斑)
- 3-5 tang-oh (garland chrysanthemum) leaves per bowl optional
- 3-4 napa cabbage leaves sliced to 1-cm strips horizontally
- 50 grams tofu cubed
- 1 tomato cut into 6 wedges
- small section of bitter gourd halved lengthwise, spoon out the white spongy bits, then slice the bittergourd flesh diagonally & as paper-thinly as possible
(A) Soup Base
- 30 grams dried fish sole# rinsed
- 1 fish bouillon soup cube to taste
- 1 litre water add more later if needed
- 4 slices ginger
# Optional: Using dried fish sole improves the taste of the fish soup stock but you can skip it if you’re busy.
(C) Garnishing Suggestions
- Make the soup base. Break dried fish sole into smaller pieces and place them in a disposable soup pouch. Add soup pouch, ginger and water in a large pot. Bring to boil for 15 minutes. Discard the pouch and add fish cube. Season to taste. If you need more soup, add more water and seasonings accordingly. If you did not place the dried fish sole in a disposable pouch, filter the soup through a fine sieve before cooking the fish soup. Note: As a short-cut, skip the dried fish sole & simply use fish stock cube + water.
- Prepare fish and vegetables. Meanwhile, check and remove bones & fish scales, if any, from the fish fillet. Slice the fillet diagonally to uniform thickness. Prepare the vegetables at (B). Add a few (about 3-5) tang-oh leaves to each serving bowl.
- Make the fish soup. To the pot of fish soup stock, add napa cabbage and simmer for 3 minutes, or until softened to liking. Add fish and the rest of the ingredients at (B). Bring to a boil until the fish is just cooked, about 1 minute.
- Serve the fish soup. Ladle the hot soup to serving bowls and garnish with (C). Serve immediately.