Chicken Donburi (Oyakodon)
Filed Under: 30-Minute Recipes Asian Recipes Chicken Recipes Eggs Japanese Recipes Popular Recipes Recipes
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Chicken Donburi Recipe
If you slice the chicken to bigger pieces than shown in the photos, increase the simmering time in step 2 by a few more minutes.
- 200 grams boneless and skinless chicken thigh cut to bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp mirin
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 stalk negi (Japanese scallion) sliced thinly and diagonally; or use mitsuba (Japanese wild parsley)
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 serving cooked Japanese short-grain rice
- dashes of Shichimi togarashi (Japanese seven flavor chili pepper) to serve
- Marinade chicken thigh with soy sauce and mirin for 15 minutes.
- Add (A) to a wok pan. Bring to a simmer. Add and distribute onions and marinated chicken evenly in the pan. Cook until the chicken pieces are cooked on the surface, and simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Gently pour the beaten egg evenly over the contents of the saucepan. When the egg is half-cooked, turn off the heat, scatter the scallions over the egg, put on the lid and let the egg continue cooking in the heat for a few more seconds until it reaches the desired consistency (almost cooked but still runny, with moist & silky appearance).
- To serve, ladle cooked Japanese rice to two serving bowls. Divide and ladle the egg over the rice and top with dashes of shichimi togarashi.