Mala Xiang Guo (Spicy Numbing Stir-Fry)
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Mala Xiang Guo (Spicy Numbing Stir Fry) Recipe
Check out this (on-going) compilation list of ingredients suitable for mala xiang guo including its prep work.
Dried chilli with its milder and smokier flavour than fresh chilli, are recommended for this dish. For moderately hot (中辣; this recipe), use 14-18 dried chilli. For mildly hot (小辣), use 4-8 chilli and for very hot (大辣), use as many chillis as desired.
If you only have a few ingredients, you can skip the par-boiling at step 1. Just dump everything into the wok (adding the harder food stuff first) to stir-fry directly.
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 6 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 14 dried chilli cut to small pieces; to taste
- 1 x 110 grams packet of instant mala sauce
- 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce to taste
- 1 tsp fish sauce to taste
(A) Vegetables and Meat
- 6 pork balls
- 4 baby corn sliced to smaller sections
- 2 king mushrooms sliced thinly
- 4 shiitake mushroom caps sliced thinly
- 50 grams Korean sweet potato noodles (dangmyeon) soaked in a bowl of water until softened; drained just before using
- 50 grams lotus root peeled & thinly sliced; soak in a bowl of water; drained just before using
- 4 small pieces dried black fungus soaked in hot water until softened; drained
- 2 sticks (about 15 grams) dried beancurd skin (tau kee) soaked in water until softened then cut to bite-sized pieces; drained
- 50 grams broccoli florets
- 50 grams trimmed enoki mushrooms
- 80 grams round cabbage sliced to 2 cm widths
- 2 bundles of baby bok choy or nai bai cut to simaller pieces
- 100 grams thinly sliced pork preferably with some fats on cut to shorter sections
- 1 tbsp roasted peanuts
- a few leaves coriander roughly chopped
You also need
- a large wok
- Par-boil the ingredients. Add water to wok and bring to boil. Add the first 9 ingredients in (A) to cook for 2 minutes, followed by the next 4 ingredients in (A) for another minute. Drain and set aside.
- Fry the aromatics. Heat oil in wok. Stir fry garlic and chilli until aromatic. Add the mala sauce and stir fry briefly until fragrant, about a minute or two.
- Add the sumptuous ingredients. Add the parboiled ingredients at Step 1. Stir fry until almost cooked, then add pork slices, soy sauce and fish sauce. Stir fry briefly until everything is cooked and well-mixed. Season to taste.
- Garnish and serve. Transfer the contents to a large serving bowl, sprinkle chopped coriander and peanuts over. Serve with steamed rice, steamed bun (mantou) or eat it on its own.