Fish Maw Soup
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Fish Maw Soup Recipe
Crab meat, chicken and abalone lends an luxurious touch to the soup, but you may omit them if preferred.
- 800ml of good soup broth (I use a mixture of chicken broth and some broth from the abalone can)
- 25g fish maw soaked in hot water until softened, then cut to small pieces
- 3 slices ginger
- 4 pieces of woodear fungus soaked in hot water to soften and sliced thinly (discard the hard part on the centre underside of the fungus)
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms stems removed and caps sliced
- 200g cooked crab meat
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce for the colour, adjust to your preference
- cornstarch solution mix 2 heaped tbsp corn flour with 4 tbsp water
- salt or light soy sauce to taste
- sliced abalone
- shredded chicken (boil a piece of chicken breast for about 15 minutes, shred when the chicken is cooled)
- black vinegar
- white pepper powder
- Bring soup broth to a boil, add fish maw and ginger. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add fungus and shiitake mushrooms and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add crab meat and bring to a simmer for another 3 minutes. Add dark soy sauce (1/4 tsp at a time) to acheive a slightly darker colour (adjust to your preference).
- Before using cornstarch solution, stir again to dissolve cornflour in the mixture. Slowly pour in the cornstarch solution while stirring until you reach the consistency desired. For thicker and starchier soup, add more cornstarch solution; for a more watery and soupy consistency, add more broth.
- Season with salt or light soy sauce if needed. Dish into serving bowls and top with abalone, chicken and coriander. Serve on the side white pepper powder and black vinegar.