Chinese Pork Liver Soup
Chinese-style Pork Liver Soup Recipe
For best results, cook and serve this dish in a claypot though it is perfectly fine to cook this dish in a regular pot. You can add some mee suah to the soup for an easy one-dish meal.
- 6 slices young ginger sliced thinly
- 600 ml water
- a small pinch of salt
- 200 grams pig’s liver cut to thin, even slices
- a few pieces lettuce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce to taste
- chopped spring onions for garnishing
- dark soy sauce and sliced chilli padi
- Add ginger, water and a pinch of salt to claypot. When the soup starts to boil and bubble,add the liver pieces and lettuce.
- Turn off the stove. Cover claypot with lid and let it stand for 5 minutes. Do not overcook the liver – it should be pink when you bite into it. Test a piece of liver after 5 minutes and should it not be sufficiently cooked, bring to a boil for about 15 seconds, cover with lid and repeat this step.
- Season the soup to taste with light soy sauce. Garnish with spring onions and serve immediately with a side condiment of dark soy sauce and chilli.
Noob Cook Tip:
You can season the soup with sesame oil & Chinese wine as well, though my family kept this dish really deliciously simple with minimal ingredients.