Chinese Cabbage Soup
Filed Under: Asian Recipes Chinese Recipes Chinese Soups Easy Cabbage Recipes Mum's Recipes Recipes Soups
Chinese Cabbage Soup Recipe
The timing for cooking the cabbage in this recipe (about 10-15 minutes of simmering) is very important. When cooked just right, the deep and sweet flavour of the cabbage shines through and complements the other naturally sweet ingredients like corn, carrots, pork ribs and dried scallops.
- 250 grams pork ribs
- 1.5 litres water
- 1 corn on the cob cut to large chunks
- 2 carrots peeled and cut to chunks
- 3 dried scallops
- 200 grams cabbage (Beijing Cabbage/高丽菜/卷心菜 ) torn or sliced to smaller pieces
- salt to taste
- Blanch pork ribs in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes. Take out the pork ribs, rinse in cold water and set aside.
- In a soup pot, add blanched pork ribs, carrots, dried scallops, corn, 1.5 litres of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add cabbage and boil for 10-15 minutes till cabbage leaves are soft and translucent. Season with salt if needed.
Noob Cook Tip
Sweet corn makes the soup really sweet but if you want a more distinct cabbage taste rather than corn taste, you may omit the corn or reduce it from one to half a corn cob.
Pages: 1 2
Just tried this with a few additions and substitutions, and think it came out very well. I didn’t have dried scallops or corn cobs while sick at home so I used oyster sauce and frozen kernel corn. I added some Mexican oregano and some celery to the pot. It was a bit sweeter than I expected. I think I may try to doctor it up another time maybe with some red pepper and cilantro.
Pingback: Chinese Cabbage Soup | Ms. Ma Cooks
Pingback: How to cook Chinese cabbage soup using rice cooker? | happy green panda
Hi, do you know if this recipe can be tweaked for a pressure cooker?
Pingback: Chinese Cabbage Soup – Journey of the Apes
Pingback: Van 식당
Pingback: Chinese Cabbage Soup | Journey to being a Chef @ Home