ABC Soup (Pork Ribs, Potato, Carrot, Onion)
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Chinese ABC Soup Recipe
Cooking this soup is as easy as ABC! This is an easy Chinese soup classic where the potato and carrots are cut to large chunks, and the onions are roughly chopped.
- 500 grams pork ribs
- 1.3 litres water
- 2 medium russet potatoes peeled and cut to chunks
- 1 large white/yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and cut to chunks
- 2 stalks celery sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp “ikan bilis” optional; for convenience, place inside disposable soup pouch
- 2 slices ginger optional
- 4 cloves old garlic cloves optional; don’t peel or mash them
- 1 tomato sliced to 6 wedges; use one more tomato if prefer a more tangy taste
- salt to taste
- Blanch pork ribs in a pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes, then rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Add blanched pork ribs and all the ingredients except the last two (tomato and salt) into a large soup pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat for another 40-50 minutes. Season to taste with salt. For best results, keep warm in thermal pot for at least 2 hours before serving.
Noob Cook Tips
- You can also add sweet corn (cut to huge chunks) which is a common ingredient in ABC soup.
- To cook this soup in a slow cooker instead, check out this recipe (replacing only the chicken with pork).