ABC Soup (Pork Ribs, Potato, Carrot, Onion)
Filed Under: Asian Recipes Chinese Recipes Chinese Soups Popular Recipes Recipes Soups
Chinese ABC Soup Recipe
Cooking this soup is as easy as ABC! This is an easy Chinese soup classic where the potato and carrots are cut to large chunks, and the onions are roughly chopped.
- 500 grams pork ribs
- 1.3 litres water
- 2 medium russet potatoes peeled and cut to chunks
- 1 large white/yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and cut to chunks
- 2 stalks celery sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp “ikan bilis” optional; for convenience, place inside disposable soup pouch
- 2 slices ginger optional
- 4 cloves old garlic cloves optional; don’t peel or mash them
- 1 tomato sliced to 6 wedges; use one more tomato if prefer a more tangy taste
- salt to taste
- Blanch pork ribs in a pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes, then rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Add blanched pork ribs and all the ingredients except the last two (tomato and salt) into a large soup pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat for another 40-50 minutes. Season to taste with salt. For best results, keep warm in thermal pot for at least 2 hours before serving.
Noob Cook Tips
- You can also add sweet corn (cut to huge chunks) which is a common ingredient in ABC soup.
- To cook this soup in a slow cooker instead, check out this recipe (replacing only the chicken with pork).
Pages: 1 2
May I know much much chicken or how many chicken drumstick to use?
Which do you think taste more flavorful? Pork ribs or chicken?
It’s totally up to your personal preference. You can even use a combination of both.
Hi! Thanks for the great recipes! For your chinese soup recipes, are there any ways to get around using meat as I am a pescetarian. I can’t seem to find any help online! Thanks :)
Pingback: Recipe: ABC Soup - Joogo Home
Pingback: Chicken “ABC” Soup – My Favourite Dishes
It is a great receipt! I followed it and my family likes the soup! Thanks!