Kale Chicken Noodle Soup
This kale chicken noodle soup is a lazy (hence fast-cooking) and comforting recipe for the current perpetual rainy days. I enjoy being lazy during the rainy season. When I am at home on a rainy weekend, most of the times I don’t even feel like going out to takeaway food. So when I made this soup, I did not care about the leftovers – I made more with meal prep in mind to help me get better at being lazy. I added kale to my chicken noodle soup as I can’t resist the good prices (S$2.80!) for the air-flown kale at Prime supermarket. As for the chicken, I used rotisserie supermarket chicken for convenience but I regretted it a little because the price has increased twofold. So next time, I’ll make this recipe with fresh chicken for better flavour and cost savings.
- Cheater Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow-Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Creamy Mushroom & Kale
- Creamy Portobello Mushroom & Kale Pasta
These are the ingredients (many are short cuts) for my fast-cooking kale chicken noodle soup.
- (1) Kale leaves – Remove the stem and cut/tear the leaves to smaller pieces.
- (2) Shredded chicken – As a short-cut I bought a whole rotisserie chicken from the supermarket, remove the skin and use the chicken breasts for the soup. I use the rest of the chicken for my salads.
- (3) Rich chicken stock – I use those rich chicken stock packed in a tetra-pak. With this short-cut, you will get a rich tasting chicken soup without spending a lot of time making rich stock from scratch. Usually when using this type of chicken soup, the soup might be too salty, so do thin it out slightly with appropriate amounts of water.
- (4) The aromatics – onions, celery, garlic, ginger, bay leaves and carrots. They contributed to the aromatic chicken soup and also made the kitchen smell really good while the chicken soup is simmering.
- (5) pasta – any favourite type. I used Tesco’s margheritine pasta (which has since discontinued selling at my supermarket) – the good thing about thus pasta is that it can be added to cook in the soup directly. Alternatively, cook pasta separately in a pot of boiling salted water, drain and add the pasta to the chicken soup pot.
- Others – Seasonings. I recommend Italian (or all-purpose) seasoning. Season the soup again at the end with salt, garlic salt, dashi powder, black pepper and/or soy sauce.
These are the steps for cooking kale chicken noodle soup on the stove top:
- (1) Fry aromatics (onion, celery, carrot, Italian seasoning) in a soup pot with some olive oil.
- (2) Add bay leaves, ginger and garlic. Add chicken stock, cover with lid and simmer for a few minutes, until you smell a heavenly aroma.
- (3) Add kale and let it reduce a little in volume (just 1-2 minutes).
- (4) Add pasta (if you are using the type that does not require separate boiling, otherwise cook the pasta separately).
- (5) Three minutes before the pasta is cooked, add the shredded chicken. I also added more soup and water to taste.
- (6) Finally season the soup to taste and this simple chicken noodle soup is done!