Chicken “ABC” Soup
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Chicken "ABC" Soup Recipe
This recipe covers two methods of cooking this soup: simmering over the stove-top and using a crock pot slow cooker.
Instead of a whole ‘kampong’ chicken, you can also use chicken drumsticks with 1-2 whole chicken bones.
Serve this soup with a bowl of steamed rice, or add cooked macaroni or noodles to make it a one-dish meal.
- 1 ‘kampong’ or small chicken cut to chunks & skin removed (except for the drumsticks & wings)
- 1.3 litres water
- 2 medium russet potatoes peeled and cut to chunks
- 1 large yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and cut to chunks
- 2 stalks celery sliced thinly; optional
- 2 slices ginger optional
- 4 cloves old garlic optional; don’t peel or mash them
- 1 tomato sliced to 6 wedges; use one more tomato if prefer a more tangy taste
- salt to taste
Blanch chicken pieces in a pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes, then rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Add blanched chicken and all the ingredients except the last two (tomato and salt) into a large soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat for another 40-50 minutes. Add tomato in the last 10 minutes of cooking. Season to taste with salt. For best results, keep warm in a thermal pot for at least 2 hours before serving.
Use 900ml hot boiling water instead of 1300ml as specified in the recipe. Top up with a small amount of boiling water occasionally if required (when the soup in the pot is reduced).
- In a crock-pot slow cooker, add blanched chicken and all the ingredients except the last two (tomato and salt). Cook at “High” for at least two hours (starting from the time when the soup starts bubbling), then set to simmer at “Low” or “Auto” for a few hours or until ready to serve.
- Add tomato only at the last 15 minutes of cooking. Season to taste with salt.