Thai Basil Beef
Filed Under: Asian Recipes Beef Recipes Stir Frying Thai Recipes
Thai Basil Beef Recipe
Stir fry briskly to avoid the beef from being overcooked and tough. You may substitute the beef with chicken or pork.
- 120g minced beef
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
- 2 long beans ends trimmed and sliced to 5 cm length
- 1 chilli padi finely sliced (adjust or omit to your liking)
- 1 tbsp frozen vegetables (peas, carrots, corn) thawed
- a few sweet basil leaves, torn roughly
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp thai fish sauce
- 50ml water
- Heat oil, add garlic and chilli, fry garlic till lightly brown and fragrant.
- Add long beans and stir fry for about 2 minutes. Then add beef and stir fry for a few seconds, using the spatula to break the minced beef to smaller pieces.
- Add (A) and thawed vegetables. Stir fry for a minute or until the beef is evenly coated in the dark sauce mixture and cooked.
- Add basil leaves and turn off the stove when the leaves are just withered and you can smell the aroma of the basil. Served with steamed rice.
Pages: 1 2
normally, i order something like this for lunch…but i should really try making my own heheh
Absolutely yummy and I do so like this Thai dish. It’s looks as good as the dishes from a Thai restaurant.
My kind of meal!!! Love the addition of basil leaves and of course the colours that go with it!
May I know which brand of thai fish sauce do you use? Where do you buy it?
I bought Knife Brand’s before, and it just doesn’t taste nice.
Looks great! Maybe you can try using holy basil instead of sweet basil. From what I’ve researched, holy basil is the one that is used for authentic thai versions and gives a distinctive flavor that sweet basil can’t beat!
Unfortunately i haven’t tried yet, not easy to find holy basil in UK!
Thanks wiffy what a terrific recipe! And I was just wondering what to do with my leftover basil and frozen mixed veggies. I’m going to make this tonight!
Been looking through your blog for recipe as I’m a noob for cooking. Can I check with you, where can I buy parsley, basil & the instant cereal prawn mix? Would like to try some dishes with these ingredients. Also, may i ask what is pasta water?
Your help will be greatly appreciated. :)
OMG wiffy~ I made this for supper last night, and finished a bit of it for lunch today. It’s so good, and so simple! :) I didn’t even have vegetables so it was just the peppers (which I fortunately found – almost bought the wrong ones, these ones are tiny!) and seasonings. I somehow forgot the water in Mix (A) but it turned out okay, hahaha. Just no juice at the bottom.
I’m sure my local thai restaurant charges more than $10 for a simple dish like this made with ground beef. It was good, but I found it pricey for what it was, I’m glad I can make it easily at home now. ^^