Stir-fry Bean Sprouts, Chives & Ikea Meatballs
A veggies stir-fry with … Ikea meatballs? No you didn’t read wrongly. This is indeed a recipe for stir-fry bean sprouts, chives & Ikea meatballs. I bought two bags of frozen Ikea meatballs and after some time, I needed to break away from the monotony of adding the meatballs to my salads. Using Ikea meatballs in a stir-fry is really convenient – I cooked the meat balls in an air fryer (you can also use an oven, microwave or the stove), then slice them thinly for the stir-fry.
- Stir-fry Vegetables (Yasai Itame)
- Stir-fry Bean Sprouts & Tricolor Peppers
- Stir-fry Chicken & Black Fungus
This is actually my practice dish for stir-fry bean sprouts, chives with liver (an izakaya dish I wanted to learn after watching Midnight Diner). Liver is cumbersome to prepare, so I practiced the recipe with Ikea meatballs which are convenient, delicious and ready-to-eat. Incidentally, I think the mellow duo of bean sprouts + garlic chives go very well with the richly seasoned Ikea meatballs. I suspect I am going to cook this ‘practice version’ quite often due to the convenience.
Ingredients & Preparation
- Prepare the garlic chives by cutting them to equal short lengths. The bottom ends of the chives gets stir-fried first, so separate them out.
- Wash the bean sprouts and dry them in a salad spinner.
- Cook the Ikea meatballs (I’m using an air fryer). You can also use a toaster or conventional oven, microwave or the stove. Cut each meatball, when cooled, to 3 to 4 slices.
- Make the stir-fry sauce with oyster sauce, soy sauce, sake, sugar, water, cornstarch and white pepper. Give it a good stir before adding the sauce to the pan.
Make The Dish
- I am using a (23 cm/9-inch) metal non-stick claypot which conducts heat very well, and is just the right size for serving it in the pan (and for photo-taking!). You can use a wokpan, frying pan or any heat-resistant claypot or casserole.
- Fry garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Add bottom ends of the garlic chives and the bean sprouts. As soon as the bean sprouts start to soften, cover with lid to steam for about 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining chives and pour the prepared sauce evenly over the contents. Stir fry briskly to coat everything in the sauce.
- Lastly stir in the sliced Ikea meatballs, mix well and serve!