Teochew Fish Ball Noodle Soup
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Teochew Fish Ball Noodle Soup Recipe
This is a homely local delight which can be easily recreated at home with simple but wholesome short-cuts, such as an MSG-free, all-natural anchovy powder as the instant soup stock. Feel free to use any favourite noodles or local greens for this recipe.
- 75g minced pork (or chicken)
- 900ml water
- 10g anchovy (ikan bilis) powder
- 16 fish balls optional; mix in pork balls for variation
- 8 fish dumplings
- 75g fish cake sliced thinly
- generous handful spinach leaves or any local greens
- 1 bundle (50g) tang hoon (glass noodles) per person soaked in a glass of water
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp corn starch
- salt & pepper
- crispy fried lard
- chopped spring onions
- saucer of sliced chilli pad in soy sauce
- Marinate minced pork with ingredients at (A) for at least 15 minutes.
- Make quick anchovy broth. In a soup pot, add water and anchovy powder. Bring to a boil and season to taste.
- Make Teochew fish ball soup. Add fish balls, pork balls (if using), fish dumplings and fish cake slices. Cook briefly until the meat balls float to the surface. Add spinach and cook for a minute.
- Cook minced pork through a slotted spoon strainer, then mix in the cooked mince meat into the soup.
- Serve as a one dish meal. Add glass noodles to the boiling soup and cook for a few seconds. Transfer cooked noodles to a serving bowl. Ladle ingredients & hot soup over the noodles. Garnish with spring onions and lard pieces. Serve immediately with a side saucer of cut chilli.