Chinese Steamed Egg with Minced Pork
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
First posted in Jul 2009, updated in Jan 2015
This Chinese-style steamed egg with minced pork (猪肉蒸蛋), also frequently known as Chinese steamed eggs or 蒸水蛋, is a family favourite dish. We love everyday dishes (家常菜) like this – unpretentious, comforting and so delicious with rice or porridge.
- Steamed Three Eggs (Three Colour Egg) Recipe (above)
- Bittergourd with Salted Egg Recipe
- Easy Egg Recipes
Many readers have commented that the most challenging part of making steamed eggs is that the cooked egg mixture either look dry, or form unsightly bubbles on the surface. Check out the cooking tips below to get a smooth and silky finish for your steamed eggs.
Tips for making Chinese savoury steamed egg dishes
- Strain the egg mixture through a fine sieve 1-3 times to get a smooth texture.
- Use heat-safe (ceramic or oven) dish for steaming the egg custard. Plastic material will melt during steaming.
- Use a wide, shallow dish for steaming so that the egg and meat will be evenly distributed and cooked.
- If you happen to be cooking Chinese soups (clear soup such as ABC soup), you can use some of the soup as the base stock for the egg custard. You can also instant chicken stock or plain water (seasoned with soy sauce).
- When steaming the egg custard, make sure the dish is sealed with foil, so that water from the steamer cover will not fall on the custard during steaming and cause unsightly bubbles.