Samsui Ginger Chicken
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Samsui Ginger Chicken Recipe
You can also replace a whole chicken with a few chicken thighs if you do not want to carve a whole chicken. To test if the chicken is cooked, insert a fork or chopstick in the thigh area: if clear liquid (no blood) runs out, the chicken is cooked.
- 1 kampong chicken head and feet removed, cavity emptied and cleaned
- 4 cloves garlic slightly bruised
- 2 slices ginger
- 1 stalk of spring onion
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
Samsui Ginger Sauce
- 50 grams peeled ginger for best results, use young ginger
- 4 peeled shallots
- 3 peeled garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp good-quality sesame oil
- 1 tbsp peanut oil or chicken oil*
- 1 tbsp chicken stock from steaming the chicken
- 1 tsp chicken seasoning powder optional; to taste
- 2 tsp sugar to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt
* Add 50 grams of chicken skin and fats, patted dry with kitchen towel, to a dry wok. Slowly heat up the wok and cook until the chicken oil is rendered.
- 1 cucumber cut to thin semicircle slices
- iceberg lettuce leaves
Steamed Samsui Chicken
- Rub salt all over the chicken including the cavity. Loosely stuff chicken cavity with garlic cloves, ginger and spring onions.
- In a deep and wide steaming dish (chicken broth will be collected at the end of cooking), steam the chicken over high heat for about 30-40 minutes. Watch the water inside the steamer, and add more water if the water dries out. To test if the chicken is cooked, insert a fork or chopstick in the thigh area: if clear liquid (no blood) runs out, the chicken is cooked.
- Empty the cavity liquids and reserve the chicken stock collected in the steaming dish.
- When chicken has cooled, de-bone and carve the chicken.
Samsui Ginger Sauce
Cut the ingredients to uniform small chunks to ensure even blending. In a food processor, blend everything to a smooth paste, taking care not to over-blend the ginger. Add more sugar if the ginger sauce tastes sharp. Season to taste with salt or chicken powder if needed. Click here for more photos and tips.
- Arrange the cucumber slices around the edge of a large round serving plate by slightly overlapping each slice.
- Arrange boneless chicken pieces around the plate and place a saucer of ginger sauce in the middle. Serve with a small plate of lettuce leaves for wrapping the chicken.