Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Chinese Onion Omelette Recipe
To bring out the delicious sweetness of the onions, they must be cooked on a lower heat without browning. The onions are done when they are soft and shrunken greatly, and this process takes about 10 minutes.
If you want to make more omelettes, cook more onions in one batch. Either make the omelettes one after another (if your pan is smaller than 26 cm in diameter), or use a bigger pan to make one large omelette.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp mushroom seasoning powder (or 1 tsp light soy sauce)
- 2 dashes white pepper powder
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions (green portion)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped carrot stack a few thin slices of carrot shaved using a vegetable peeler before finely chopping
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced to long thin strips, preferably against the grain
You Also Need:
- 24-26 cm non-stick pan if you are using a bigger pan, you will need to double up the recipe accordingly
- Prepare egg mixture. In a small bowl, add eggs, seasoning powder (or soy sauce) and white pepper. Beat the eggs well, then stir in the chopped spring onion and carrot.
- Cook onions. Heat oil on medium low heat and add sliced onions. Cook onions on low heat without browning them until they are softened and shrunken significantly, about 10 minutes. Set aside on a plate.
- Make onion omelette. Heat the same pan on medium low heat. Add egg mixture, swirling to distribute the egg across the pan. When the egg is semi-set, distribute cooked onions evenly over the surface of the omelette. Cover with lid and cook the egg until the egg is cooked, about 2-3 minutes. Cut the omelette into bite-sized servings, or serve it whole.