Klang Bak Kut Teh
For this recipe, I am using a 45 grams packet of “Mo Sang Kor” (毛山稿肉骨茶) Klang bak kut teh (bkt) spice mix. Mo Sang kor is a popular bkt restaurant with a few branches in Klang, Malaysia, and they happen to sell their own brand of premix bkt spice. I bought mine from Malacca for RM6 per packet.
Klang Bak Kut Teh Recipe
Feel free to add your favourite ingredients other than the ones used in the recipe. Don’t forget to serve the bak kut teh with side condiments of you tiao, garlic, dark soy sauce, chilli and Chinese tea for a complete meal.
- 600 grams pork ribs
- 1 packet klang bak kut teh spice mix
- 8 cloves garlic lightly bruised
- 2 litres water
- 4 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 x 200g canned straw mushrooms drained
- 200 grams enoki mushrooms bottom trimmed and discarded
- 60 grams dried beancurd skin/”tau kee” cut to shorter lengths
- 3 dried tofu puffs/”tau pok” sliced to 2cm strips
- salt to taste
- lettuce torn to pieces
- 1 you tiao/fried fritters cut to pieces
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 3 chilli padi sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Blanch pork ribs in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes. Rinse blanched pork ribs and set aside.
- In a deep soup pot, add bak kut teh spice mix, 2 litres water, garlic cloves, soy sauces and blanched pork ribs. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for about an hour, or until the pork ribs are tender. Note: Add more water as needed any time during the simmering process.
- During the last 10 minutes of simmering, add enoki & straw mushrooms, tau kee and tau pok. Simmer until the tau kee is softened to your liking.
- Season to taste with salt or light soy sauce. While the soup is hot, you may add some lettuce. Serve with side condiments of you tiao, garlic, dark soy sauce and chilli for a complete meal.
Noob Cook Tips:
- For best results, cook this dish in a claypot.
- Use the wrinkled kind of dried bean curd skin for stewing bak kut teh. The smooth type is more suitable for making fu chok (Chinese dessert) and requires pre-soaking.