Kimchi Nabe (Hot Pot)
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Kimchi Nabe Recipe
Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients from (B) to (D) – they are suggestions and you can pick just some of the ingredients each time you make the hot pot.
(A) Soup Base
- 20-25 Korean large anchovies (myulchi) de-gutted
- 20g kombu (dried kelp) wipe with a damp cloth
- 1500 ml water
- 2 level tbsp guchujang
- 1 tsp gochugaru (chilli flakes) for the heat; to taste
- 2 tbsp kimchi juice
- 1 level tbsp miso
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
(B) Vegetables and Tofu
- 4 napa cabbage leaves cut to bite-sized chunks
- 150g kimchi cut to bite-sized lengths
- 100g firm (pressed) tofu cut to 2 cm lengths
- 4 shiitake mushrooms stalks removed; make a star pattern on each mushroom cap
- 2 Japanese scallion (negi) sliced white portion at a slant to 2.5cm length
- 5 stalks garlic chives cut to 4 cm lengths
- 1 green chilli thinly sliced
- 100g soya bean sprouts (kongnamul) (soya bean sprouts)
- half carrot thinly sliced to flower shapes
- 100g Japanese shingiku leaves (chrysanthemum greens; substitute with local ‘tang oh’)
- small handful assorted mushrooms such as enoki & hon shimeji ends trimmed
(C) Meat and Seafood Suggestions (choose at least 1)
- 150 grams shabu-shabu pork
- 8 large oysters thaw if using frozen
- 150 grams boneless chicken thigh cut to bite-sized pieces
- 8 cooked scallop (hotate) thaw if using frozen
(D) End Session (choose at least 1)
- Kimchi Soup Base. Soak anchovies, kombu and water (A1) in a soup pot for 20 minutes. Slowly bring to a simmer but not boiling for 20 minutes. Discard kombu and anchovies. Add A2, bring to a boil and season to taste. If you are busy, you can replace (A1) with 2 tsp instant dashi powder as a short-cut.
- Hot Pot Ingredients. Prepare (B), (C) and (D). Arrange each ingredient from (A) and (B) attractively in the pot and any remaining ingredients in a platter.
- Serve. When ready to serve, fill pot with kimchi soup base and enjoy the hot pot, topping up regularly with more soup stock and ingredients from the platter. Towards the end of the meal, add ingredients from (D) to soak up all the broth.