Ketchup Prawns Recipe
The ketchup sauce is sweet, hot and tangy and soooo good over steamed rice. This recipe uses 10 extra-large prawns (about 180g after prep). You can also use 15 (+/-) smaller prawns accordingly.
- 10 XL prawns deshelled & deveined, tail-on & patted dry (180g after prep)
- 1/2 + 1/2 tbsp cooking oil divided
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 onion sliced thinly
- 2 chilli padi sliced thinly; to taste
- 1 small tomato cut to 6 wedges
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) water
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp chilli garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar to taste
- 1 tsp soy sauce to taste
- Pre-cook the prawns. Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a wokpan. Add prawns and cook until they just turn opaque. Set aside on a plate.
- Cook aromatics. Add remaining oil to the pan. Cook garlic and onion, until the onions turn translucent. Add tomatoes and chilli, cooking down the tomatoes briefly until softened.
- Make ketchup sauce. Add sauce ingredients (A) to the wok. Bring to a simmer and season to taste (more soy sauce, sugar or water if needed).
- Simmer and serve. Return prawns back to the pan, evenly coating them in the sauce. Cover with lid and simmer for 1 more minute, or until the prawns are cooked.
Pages: 1 2
Pingback: Tomato Ketchup Prawns | Mono + Co
Hi, tried your recipe and took the liberty to tweak a bit on my own by adding oyster sauce. Noticed that the chopped tomatoes in your ingredient list was not mentioned in the cooking directions. I added the chopped tomatoes after the prawns are cook. Is that your method too? Thanks for all your great recipes.
Hi! Saw your lovely prawns, they look yummy! I added the tomatoes to simmer a little, so that the flavours can be infused in the sauce. Amended recipe. Thanks for pointing it out.
Have you ever tried adding cut fruits like pineapple or apple?It might be delicious too:)
Can’t seem to view the recipe
Hi, the recipe is back up. Thanks for letting me know :)
May I know how much is 1/4 cup of ketchup? Sorry this is my first time cooking.
You can use the rice cooker cup, where 1/4 cup is about 50 ml.
Pingback: Ketchup Egg with Prawns | Journey to being a Chef @ Home
It says 2tbsp tomato sauce (ketchup). Which one, they are two different things. Tomato sauce is just that plain sauce. Ketchup is tomato, sugar or other sweetener like corn syrup, vinegar, and spices.
I meant ketchup. Changed to “2 tbsp tomato ketchup” so that it’s clearer. Thanks.
Love this recipe! Just the right balance between sweet, tangy and hot. I didn’t feel the need to adjust the amount of any of the sauce ingredients. Added sliced ginger and torn lime leaves when stir crying the aromatics, and added coriander leaves in the end. Stir fried the prawns in butter, and the butter lent a touch of silkiness to the sauce. Delicious! My husband said he ‘loved loved the dish”. Will be on repeat for sure! Thank you so much for a yummy time saver of a recipe!
Thanks, glad to hear that it’s well-received :)
Hi! Can I just verify which type of chilli garlic sauce did you use? Is it the mcd’s type or the homemade type?