Creamy Spaghetti with Bacon, Corn, Mushrooms and Peppers
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
This is the first time I am making a creamy spaghetti and I love it. I had carbonara pasta in mind when I am making it but I guess I can’t call this a traditional Pasta alla carbonara because carbonara sauce typically has eggs or egg yolks in them. But I do love the creamy and cheesy texture of this. The good thing about making your own pasta sauce like I did in this case is that you can adjust the amount of creamliness to your liking. I often find store bought ones a little too thick and sticky for my liking. I prefer the creamliness to be lighter and more subtle as I won’t get so sick of it even after a plate and the taste is also more refreshing.
– 120g of spaghetti (adjust according to your appetite)
– 100g streaky bacon (about 6 slices)
– 2 to 3 tbsp pasta water (or can substitute with white wine)
– 100ml fresh cream
– 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
– 1 bell pepper, diced
– 100g mushrooms (I use willow mushrooms in the photo)
– small knob of butter
– 3 tbsp corn nibblets
– 1/2 tbsp chopped garlic
– salt and pepper
1. Cook pasta in lightly salted water and a bit of oil according to the package instructions. Drain pasta and reserve a few tbsp of the pasta water.
2. Cut bacon to thin stripes (breadth-wise).
3. Heat pan to medium heat and fry bacons for several minutes (mine took about 7 minutes) till they are browned and crispy (see photo below). Scoop up the bacon and set aside on a plate, leaving the oil in the pan.
4. Using the oil left in the pan, melt a small knob of butter and fry the chopped garlic till it’s browned.
5. Add diced peppers and mushrooms and fry for a minute or two.
6. Add corn nibblets (if using raw/fresh ones then add during step 5) as well as 2-3 tbsp of the pasta water. Allow some of the water to evaporate from the heat.
7. Add cream and stir well. Thicken sauce with grated parmesan cheese (adjust the amount according to how thick you want) and season with salt and pepper. Off the flame.
8. Toss back the noodles and bacon, stir evenly and serve.