Creamy Spaghetti with Bacon, Corn, Mushrooms and Peppers
Creamy Spaghetti … a twist on Pasta alla carbonara?
This is the first time I am making a creamy spaghetti and I love it. I had carbonara pasta in mind when I am making it but I guess I can’t call this a traditional Pasta alla carbonara because carbonara sauce typically has eggs or egg yolks in them. But I do love the creamy and cheesy texture of this. The good thing about making your own pasta sauce like I did in this case is that you can adjust the amount of creamliness to your liking. I often find store bought ones a little too thick and sticky for my liking. I prefer the creamliness to be lighter and more subtle as I won’t get so sick of it even after a plate and the taste is also more refreshing.
– 120g of spaghetti (adjust according to your appetite)
– 100g streaky bacon (about 6 slices)
– 2 to 3 tbsp pasta water (or can substitute with white wine)
– 100ml fresh cream
– 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
– 1 bell pepper, diced
– 100g mushrooms (I use willow mushrooms in the photo)
– small knob of butter
– 3 tbsp corn nibblets
– 1/2 tbsp chopped garlic
– salt and pepper
1. Cook pasta in lightly salted water and a bit of oil according to the package instructions. Drain pasta and reserve a few tbsp of the pasta water.
2. Cut bacon to thin stripes (breadth-wise).
3. Heat pan to medium heat and fry bacons for several minutes (mine took about 7 minutes) till they are browned and crispy (see photo below). Scoop up the bacon and set aside on a plate, leaving the oil in the pan.
4. Using the oil left in the pan, melt a small knob of butter and fry the chopped garlic till it’s browned.
5. Add diced peppers and mushrooms and fry for a minute or two.
6. Add corn nibblets (if using raw/fresh ones then add during step 5) as well as 2-3 tbsp of the pasta water. Allow some of the water to evaporate from the heat.
7. Add cream and stir well. Thicken sauce with grated parmesan cheese (adjust the amount according to how thick you want) and season with salt and pepper. Off the flame.
8. Toss back the noodles and bacon, stir evenly and serve.
I’m sending this creamy pasta to Family Friends & Food who’s hosting this week’s edition of Presto Pasta Nights.
Looks good. I like crispy bacon bits.. this is such a simple yet delicious dish! :)
I had corn kernels pasta last week too! Guess what I mix it with?
I like cream-based pasta once in a while. Tomato-based still my fav.
I guess … bacon? ;)
Simply delicious…light flavours, touch of cream, nicely plated.
Just the thought of those ingredients coming together into one dish with a creamy sauce makes me so hungry! I like that you didn’t add too much sauce. I like pasta with a light creamy sauce but not a ultra heavy cream sauce.
Looks fantastic…really! I’m loving the flavors of this.
Pingback: Pasta Fatta In Casa
That is a tasty looking salad!
Pingback: Cod Fish with Creamy Mushroom Sauce | NoobCook.com
Can some one tell me if this a one dish meal.
Yes it is
Hi, I just made this last night, it was absolutely delicious! Was looking for an easy creamy pasta recipe without using half-cooked eggs (as in carbonara) – yours was just perfect. Your website is such a treasure trove of recipes, thanks so much for sharing :)
P/S: Also tried your meatball porridge recipe, great tasting stock!