Cheater’s Sliced Fish Noodle Soup
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Cheater's Sliced Fish Noodle Soup Recipe
This recipe uses packet instant bee hoon (vermicelli) as a short cut.
Omit the evaporated milk if you prefer a clear soup base.
- 150g batang fish slices (Spanish mackerel/马鲛鱼)
- 1 level tsp fine sea salt for marinating fish
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
- 3/4 tbsp Chinese wine (Hua Tiao/Shaoxing)
- 1000 ml water
- 2 packets instant bee hoon (chicken flavour)
- 6 ginger slices
- a small section of bittergourd spongy bits removed, sliced thinly
- 1 small tomato cut to 6 wedges
- a handful of quick-cooking greens such as chye sim (菜心) or Chinese spinach leaves (sharp/round or baby spinach)
- 40 ml evaporated milk optional
Suggested Garnishes (A)
- 1 tbsp crispy garlic oil optional
- chopped spring onions and/or coriander
- white pepper powder to taste
- a saucer of cut chilli padi in soy sauce (at the side)
- Prep & marinade the fish. Add fish slices in a small bowl with enough water to cover the fish. Add salt and massage onto the flesh for one minute. Add cornstarch (stir to dissolve) and soak the fish for 4 minutes. Rinse the fish to wash off the salt and cornstarch, then drain. Marinade fish with sesame oil, soy sauce and Chinese wine for at least 15 minutes in the fridge. Check out the step-by-step photos in this tutorial.
- Cook the fish noodles. Bring water to a boil. From the instant bee hoon packets, add the dried noodles (bee hoon) bundles. When the noodles are cooked, take them out and transfer to two serving bowls. Add instant noodles seasonings, ginger, bittergourd and tomato to the pot. Cook for 1 minute. Add marinated fish, green veg and evaporated milk. When the fish is cooked (turns opaque; less than a minute), turn off the heat. Ladle the hot soup over the bee hoon. Garnish with (A) and serve immediately.