Black Woodear Fungus Salad
Black Fungus Cold Salad Recipe
This healthy black woodear fungus salad is a refreshing cold side dish (凉拌菜) which helps to improve one’s appetite with its mildly tangy & spicy flavours. It is great for making ahead of the day and works with both fresh & dried black fungus.
(A) Salad Sauce Seasonings
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp soybean paste (酱油膏) (may substitute with oyster sauce)
- 1/2 tbsp vinegar (black, white or apple cider)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 15g fine sugar
(B) Aromatic Garnishes
- 1 finger-length red chilli for colour; sliced thinly; to taste
- 2 chilli padi for the heat; sliced thinly & partially de-seeded; to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped spring onions &/or coriander
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 thinly sliced young ginger julienned (long thin strips)
You also need:
- a non-reactive food container (at least 1 litre or more) with a tight lid
- If using dried black fungus, add them to a large bowl of cold water to soak for about 40 minutes, or until the fungus are fully reconstituted. Rinse the fungus and set aside. Skip this step and go to step 2 directly if you are using fresh fungus.
- Remove the ‘knot’ on the underside of each fungus by cutting it out with kitchen scissors. Cut the fungus to uniform bite-sized pieces.
- Cook the fungus. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the fungus and boil for 5 minutes. Place the fungus in a colander. Rinse them under cold running tap water until cooled down, then squeeze out the excess liquids from the fungus.
- Prepare the salad sauce while the fungus is cooking. Add seasonings (A) in a bowl. Whisk or stir vigorously until the sugar is dissolved.
- Assemble the salad. Place the prepared fungus along with the aromatic garnishes (B) in a food container. Drizzle the salad sauce over the fungus and toss to coat the fungus evenly in the sauce. Alternatively, cover the container with a tight lid and shake to mix well.
- Chill the salad in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Before serving, stir the fungus around with a spoon to get them evenly coated in the sauce again. This salad keeps well in the fridge for about 5 days.