Bitter Gourd Soup
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Bitter Gourd Soup Recipe
If you want to reduce the bitterness of the bitter gourd before cooking, you can rub a small amount of salt on the bitter gourd after removing the seeds, and then rinsing off the salt with water.
- 300g pork ribs
- 400 grams bitter gourd (bitter melon/苦瓜)
- 1.2 litres water
- 2 honey red dates
- 10 pitted red dates
- 1 to 2 carrots peeled and cut to small chunks
- 1 tbsp wolfberries soaked in water until puffy; drained
- salt to taste
- Blanch pork ribs in boiling water for about 5 minutes, to remove the scum so that you have clear soup later.
- Cut the bitter gourd in half lengthwise, use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and white pulp. Cut into large chunks.
- In a large soup pot, add water, red dates, blanched pork ribs, carrots and bitter gourd. When the water comes to a boil, lower heat and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Add wolfberries in the last 5 minutes of simmering. Season with salt. For best results, keep the soup warm in a thermal pot for a few hours before serving.
Noob Cook Tips
- After simmering for 20-30 minutes, taste the soup. If it’s too bitter, add one or two more honey red dates to your liking.
- Tip for choosing bitter gourd: In general, dark green bitter gourd is more bitter and light green is less bitter.
- If you like a better presentation, slice and set aside some thin bitter gourd slices and add it together with the wolfberries during the last 5 minutes of cooking.