Bittergourd with Salted Egg
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Bittergourd with Salted Egg Recipe
Tip for choosing bitter gourd: In general, dark green bitter gourd is more bitter and light green is less bitter.
- half (lengthwise cut) large bittergourd (bitter melon/苦瓜)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 raw salted duck egg yolk and white separated; egg yolk finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- half red finger-length chilli de-seeded and sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine optional
- Using a spoon, scrap out and discard the white pulp and seeds from the bittergourd. Slice bittergourd thinly.
- Heat oil in wok and stir fry garlic for 20 seconds, or at the first sight of browning.
- Add bittergourd slices, stir fry until they start to turn translucent.
- Add salted egg (yolk and white), water and chilli. Stir to coat the bittergourd evenly in the egg, then simmer briefly on low heat, until the egg yolk is cooked. Drizzle Chinese wine at the sides of the wok and turn off the stove when you smell the aroma of the wine seconds later.
Noob Cook Tip
If you want to reduce the bitterness of bittergourd, rub a small amount of salt on the halved bitter gourd and leave for a few minutes, after which rinse away the salt with water before slicing. I personally enjoy the bitter taste so I omitted this step.