Teriyaki Tofu Steak
Filed Under: 15-minute Recipes Izakaya At Home Japanese Recipes Low Carb Recipes Meatless Recipes Recipes Step-by-Step Recipes Tofu
Teriyaki Tofu Steak Recipe
The crispy garlic provides a pleasant bitterness & umami depth which complements the savoury teriyaki sauce well. If you are busy, you can skip the step of making the crispy garlic.
If you like a sweet tasting teriyaki sauce, you can add bit of brown sugar, to taste.
Check out the more tips, ingredients & step-by-step photos on the previous page.
- 1 block firm tofu (about 220g)
- 1 tbsp flour (corn flour)
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2-4 scallion ends (optional)
- 1 1/2 tbsp mirin
- 1 1/2 tbsp sake
- 1 1/4 tbsp soy sauce add more to taste if needed
- 10g unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp sliced dried chilli (deseeded) optional
You also need:
- a fitting frying pan (depends on number of cut tofu slices)
- Prepare tofu. Cut tofu block to 16 equal rectangles (or cut it to bigger or thicker ‘steak cuts’ as you wish). Dab the tofu dry on paper towel. Coat both sides of the cut tofu with flour.
- Make crispy garlic. Heat oil on medium heat in a frying pan. Cook garlic slices in the oil until light golden brown. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Cook the scallion ends (if using) at the side of the pan. Set aside both garlic and scallion on a plate.
- Pan fry the tofu. Add tofu to the garlic and scallion oil in the pan. Pan fry the tofu on both sides until lightly golden brown. Add mirin, sake, soy sauce, dried chilli (if using). Return the scallion ends to the pan. When the sauce bubble, add the butter and let the sauce thicken slightly. Coat both sides of the tofu in the sauce.
- Plate the dish by arranging the teriyaki tofu slices on a plate, and garnish with crispy garlic and spring onions. Serve the teriyaki sauce in the pan at the side – it is great for drizzling on rice, or use as a dipping sauce.
Credit: Adapted from Nami’s Life
Pages: 1 2
Love teriyaki anything! The tofu was perfectly pan seared and looked so good.