Teriyaki Hotate & Shishito Peppers
Teriyaki Hotate & Shishito Peppers Recipe
This is a quick and easy recipe – The boiled hotate (Japanese scallops) were already cooked and only require a short simmer in the pan.
You can omit the shishito peppers (see ingredient substitution ideas at cooking notes) and double the scallops if you want a pan of filled with teriyaki scallops.
- 8 large thawed boiled hotate (Japanese scallops)
- 8 shishito peppers see cooking note below for subsitution
- cornstarch slurry dissolve 1/2 tsp cornstarch in 1 tsp water
- 1/4 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp chopped spring onions
- 1 tsp light soy sauce (I used 1/2 tbsp slightly salty)
- 1 1/2 tbsp sake (or clear rice wine)
- 1 1/2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1-cm garlic paste (or 1 clove minced garlic) optional
- 1-cm ginger paste (or 1/2 tsp minced garlic) optional
- Make quick teriyaki sauce. In a 20-cm pan, add teriyaki sauce ingredients, and mix well with a spatula. Cook briefly until sugar is dissolved. Do a taste test and season to taste with soy sauce if it is not salty enough (1/2 tsp at a time) or water if it is too salty (1 tbsp at a time). Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce the heat to a low simmer.
- Add hotate and shishito peppers one layer in the pan. Simmer with lid on for 2 minutes. Open lid, use chopsticks to turn the ingredients, and continue to simmer for another 2 minutes with the lid on. Thicken sauce with cornstarch slurry.
- Garnish and serve. Transfer the scallops and shishito peppers to a serving plate and garnish with sesame seeds and spring onions. Pour the remaining teriyaki sauce in the pan into a serving condiment saucer. This dish is best served with Japanese multigrain rice.
Ingredient substitution ideas for shishito peppers:
- bell peppers (capsicums) wedges
- broccoli florets
- cherry tomatoes
- any favourite variety of local chilli peppers (such as jalapeño)