Tang Hoon Soup
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Tang Hoon Soup Recipe
This is a light-tasting and healthy Chinese-style one-dish meal which can be whipped up in under 30 minutes.
- 50 grams ikan bilis (anchovies/江鱼仔) rinsed and drained
- 800 ml water
- 14 fish balls (鱼丸)
- 4 fish dumplings (魚餃)
- 100 grams tang hoon (冬粉) soaked in water until softened; drained
- 50 grams fish cake (鱼饼) sliced thinly
- salt or light soy sauce to taste, if needed
- 3 leaves lettuce shredded thinly
- 1 tsp fried shallots or fried lard
- 1 tsp dong cai (preserved winter vegetable/冬菜) rinsed
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions
- chilli padi sliced thinly
- light soy sauce
- To make ikan bilis stock, bring water and ikan bilis to boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Strain & discard ikan bilis. Season to taste with salt or light soy sauce, if needed.
- With the ikan bilis stock simmering in the pot, add fish balls and fish dumplings; cook until the fish balls float to the surface.
- Add tang hoon and fish cake slices to the pot and simmer for about one minute.
- Divide into two serving bowls. Garnish with lettuce, shallot oil, dong cai and spring onions. Serve with a saucer of sliced chilli padi with light soy sauce at the side.