Tang Hoon Soup
Filed Under: Asian Recipes Chinese Recipes Noodles One-Dish Meals Recipes Under 30 Minutes
Tang Hoon Soup Recipe
This is a light-tasting and healthy Chinese-style one-dish meal which can be whipped up in under 30 minutes.
As a short-cut you can use a stock cube with water, if you do not wish to make the soup base from scratch in step 1.
- 50 grams ikan bilis (anchovies/江鱼仔) rinsed and drained
- 800 ml water
- 14 fish balls (鱼丸)
- 4 fish dumplings (魚餃)
- 100 grams tang hoon (冬粉) soaked in water until softened; drained
- 50 grams fish cake (鱼饼) sliced thinly
- salt or light soy sauce to taste, if needed
- 3 leaves lettuce shredded thinly
- 1 tsp fried shallots or fried lard
- 1 tsp dong cai (preserved winter vegetable/冬菜) rinsed
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions
- chilli padi sliced thinly
- light soy sauce
- To make ikan bilis stock, bring water and ikan bilis to boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Strain & discard ikan bilis. Season to taste with salt or light soy sauce, if needed.
- With the ikan bilis stock simmering in the pot, add fish balls and fish dumplings; cook until the fish balls float to the surface.
- Add fish cake slices to the pot to warm through. Then add tang hoon which will be ready seconds after they are added to the hot boiling soup.
- Divide into two serving bowls. Garnish with lettuce, shallot oil, dong cai and spring onions. Serve with a saucer of sliced chilli padi with light soy sauce at the side.
Pages: 1 2
I love chinese soups, but I have never tried this one. I will prepare it tonight.
Great recipe for a simple and healthy meal. Tang Hoon is also one of my favourite noodle because it has low Glycemic Index, so you won’t feel hungry for a longer period of time.
ya i agree..Chen ..
Where did you buy the fish dumplings from?
Wet market or supermarket…
Loved this simple dish – I believe the fish balls and fish dumplings would also impart flavour to the soup…oh, and I also like to add a little bit of Tong Chai.
Do I need to cook the dong chai? Or just wash it no need to cook?
just rinse before putting in the bowl & then pour the hot soup over. No need to cook.