Stir-fry 7 Types Vegetables
Stir-fry 7 Types Vegetables Recipe
Feel free to substitute the 7 vegetables in this recipe with your favourite seasonal greens. Other suitable vegetables include: broccoli, coriander, celery, baby kailan, kailan (Chinese kale), lily bulb and chives.
You can add a meat component such as pacific clams, prawns, roast pork or Chinese sausage (lup cheong) & bak kwa to make this a “one-dish side dish”.
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 slices ginger minced
- 1 finger-length red chilli sliced thinly
- half carrot sliced thinly
- 2 baby corn sliced diagonally to shorter sections
- 1 level tbsp mushroom seasoning powder see note below; to taste
- 2 tbsp rich (tetra-pak) chicken stock use vegetable stock for vegetarian; see note
- 2 tbsp water as needed
- 1 tbsp Chinese wine (Hua Tiao/Shaoxing)
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- chopped spring onions to garnish
(A) Seven vegetables
Check out the photos of the 7 vegetables and the cutting method here.
The quantity & weight of the vegetables used is only indicative; feel free to use any amount & adjust the seasonings accordingly.
- 2 stalks Chinese leeks 蒜 separate leaves from stems; sliced diagonally
- 1 stalk “negi” scallion 葱 use only bottom white part; sliced diagonally
- small head (about 100g) napa cabbage 大白菜
- 50g choy sum shoots 菜心苗 separate leaves from the stems; cut stems to shorter sections
- 50g Chinese spinach (puay leng) 菠菜 separate leaves from the stems; cut stems to shorter sections
- 50g coral lettuce leaves 生菜
- 50g Shanghai bok choy 上海青
- Prepare the seven vegetables by separating the leaves from the stems & slicing them according to the instructions at the ingredients page. Click here for photos.
- Stir-fry aromatics. Heat oil in wok, then add garlic, ginger and chilli. Stir fry briefly until fragrant.
- Cook vegetables in the following order: First, stir fry leeks (bottom white portion), “negi” scallions, carrot and baby corn for one minute. Add the rest of the vegetables except for coral lettuce. Add mushroom seasoning powder, chicken stock, water and Chinese wine. Stir fry until softened, adding more stock or water if needed. When the vegetables are cooked, turn off the stove and stir in the lettuce. Drizzle sesame oil over the cooked vegetables. Garnish with spring onions.
- I use mushroom seasoning powder as a delicious MSG-free seasoning for all my veg stir-fries. You can substitute it with appropriate amount of salt, soy sauce or fish sauce.
- If not using chicken or vegetable stock, replace with water and seasonings.
Looks delicious and healthful!
I think the Japanese have something similar using 7 types of vegetables , including herbs .