Steamed Prawn with Egg White
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Steamed Prawn with Egg White Recipe
Tips for silky soft egg white texture: 1) use cornflour 2) beat the egg white mixture thoroughly until the corn flour is fully dissolved and 3) do not overcook the topmost layer of egg in the steamer.
- 7 medium prawns* shells and veins removed
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 thin slices ginger julienned
- chopped spring onions and/or coriander to garnish
- a few drops sesame oil to garnish
* approximately 100 grams of prawn meat without shells
(A) Marinade for prawns
- 1/2 tbsp Chinese wine (Hua Tiao/Shaoxing)
- 1 clove freshly minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
(B) Egg white mixture
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp chicken stock
- 1 level tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp Chinese wine
- a tiny pinch of sea salt to taste
You also need:
- milk frother (optional; can whisk by hand using a fork)
- a shallow steaming plate
- Marinade the prawns in (A) for about 15 minutes in the fridge.
- Prepare egg white mixture. Whisk all the ingredients in (B) thoroughly using a milk frother or by hand using a fork, until the cornflour is fully dissolved and the mixture is opaque.
- Partially steam the dish. Grease the bottom and sides of steaming plate with sesame oil. Place the marinated prawns one layer on the plate. Top each prawn with some ginger. Spoon in 3/4 of the egg white mixture to partially cover the prawns. Steam for about 3 minutes, or until the egg white is cooked.
- Finish steaming and serve. Turn off the heat. Wait 1 minute for the hot steam to dissipate first. Spoon the remaining egg white mixture to form the top most layer. Continue steaming for about 3 minutes, or until the white egg is just set. Do not overcook so that the egg white looks smooth and soft. Garnish with a few drops of sesame oil and spring onions/coriander.